Survival Strategy

From FP, my failed attempt at NaNoWriMo.

First Published: March 31, 2012

Chapters: 6

Summary: 10,293

"Who are you?" I asked him. "Don't you know who I am?" He replied, still staring at me. "Wait, aren't you-" But before I could finish my sentence, he leaned in towards me and placed his lips on mine. Gasping for air, I turned around not wanting to face him, but the moment I did, I saw Kevyn. "No! Kevyn, don't shoot!"

Title: Survival Strategy

Category: Fiction » Romance

Author: blueee

Language: English, Rating: Rated: K+

Genre: Romance/Adventure

Published: 03-31-12, Updated: 06-20-12

Chapters: 6, Words: 10,293

Chapter 1: Chapter 1

Survival Strategy

1

I spun my head around, checking to see if I had left any tracks. I couldn't see them, but I could sense them. The smell of rain and wood hid their scent well, but I could still trace the saltiness of human sweat and the strong smell of blood that wasn't my own. I thought of running faster but I knew it wouldn't help as it was impossible to outrun them in this terrain, I'd just end up injuring myself and slowing down. The hard part was never completing the mission; it was always the running away after doing so, simply because the loyal guards and spies will actually go after you for killing their master and mistresses.

There wasn't anywhere I could hide, only trees around and ahead of me. My only chance of escape was to take cover high up. I flung my gun onto my back as I started to climb the most stable looking tree. Higher and higher, my heart racing, my palms sweating but I had to keep going no matter what. Faint sounds, the tingling sensation of the air on my skin, I couldn't see what was coming but I could hear the rustling of leaves, footsteps getting closer and closer. I licked my lips tasting the saltiness of my own sweat and the metallic taste of my own blood. I heard gunshot in the distance and held my breath, aiming my own gun further outwards, ready to fire. I knew that if I made a sound, it was all over, this mission would be for nothing but my own life. The clicking sound of a gun, I knew it almost too well. Before the enemy could shoot, I pulled the trigger. Gun shot. Then silence.

As I approached the clearing, I knew I was close to safety. Once I escaped the forest terrain, I would be close enough to the village to escape without having anyone else chase me further.

"Rune! There you are! Ryn is looking for you, she said there was something you might want to see." Kevyn ran up to me as he saw me wandering around the village gate.

"Ryn? Where is she?" I asked.

"She's in the village square, I think there's some notice put up there." Kevyn explained as we headed in that direction.

The village square was a gathering spot for the villagers, there was a gigantic LED screen attached to a pole there, since we were all so very poor, many off us gathered there to watch TV. Usually it was news updates from the city about the military and their missions against our enemy country.

"Rune! Look at this, look at this!" Ryn called out the moment she spotted me.

"What is it?" I asked her. Kevyn and I both looked on the notice board that was visible next to the screen.

Ryn and I lost both our parents during the Sacrifice, we had to do all sorts of unimaginable jobs that were all for the sake of feeding us all. Even if we were left as orphans, we were able to manage pretty well with me doing the dirty work and Kevyn watching over Ryn. Kevyn was a year older and had gone to school for longer so he did more common jobs like tutoring and teaching the younger ones in the village, although we weren't blood related, he was like family to both me and Ryn. After we lost our parents, all we had was each other, Kevyn just made it easier for me, I guess.