8

"What's going on here?"

I heard a familiar voice spoke as an invigorating scent accompanied her. My head snapped towards her direction. I struggled in the bonds I was in but ice suddenly engulfed me, making me halt my actions. I glared at the dual-coloured hair boy.

"Hikari?" The new voice asked, me attention falling onto the raven-haired woman.

"Misaki!" I called.

Misaki rushed towards me but three men stopped her in her tracks. She looked just as beat as I do.

"And who do you think you are?" The ash blond asked, explosions going off his open palms.

"Please. I have to get to her or else she'll go berserk again," Misaki replied, her brown eyes scanning the crowd of students.

"Huh? Are you just like her?"

"No," she replied. "But I am the few who can quench her thirst." The students paused at her statement. She saw me twitch. "I suggest you please move. The longer she stays in her hungered state, the more dangerous she becomes."

It took them a moment to understand what she said, but eventually they let her pass. She made her way towards me and placed her palm on the ice.

"Wait, let m-"

The ice shattered, making me fall on the ground with a thud. I groaned as pain erupted throughout my senses. I can feel her remove the mask. "Shh, it's okay, Hikari. I'm here."

She sent me a reassuring smile. That's when I lost it. I broke free of the bonds as I tackled away to a secluded area before sinking my teeth on her shoulders. I felt blood pour into my mouth, and that's when I tore off her flesh. She let out a grunt of pain, but I paid her no mind. I know she'll be okay. I know that she can immediately regenerate back her missing limbs.

I continued to feast on her until I felt the front of the tattered dress I was wearing was soaked in blood. That was when I finally came into my senses. I staggered backwards, my head cradled in between my hands as I cursed myself.

"Hikari," Misaki's voice echoed in my mind as her familiar warmth embraced me in a hug. "It's okay, I got you."

Tears were now flowing freely from my eyes. I can't believe I almost killed one of the students. Oh gods. Someone kill me.

I hugged back, my bandaged arms wrapping around her neck as I pulled her in closer. "There there. It's alright. It's all over now."

"I almost killed one of them," I sobbed. "I-I almost gave in."

She just continued to whisper comforting words in my ears. "Let's get you patched up, yeah?"

---

In the end, Misaki had patched me up and gave me a new set of clothes. The group of kids are keeping a safe distance away from us. I wouldn't blame them. I would have done the same if I encountered a monster like I was.

"There, all done!" She exclaimed.

I forgot how many times she had saved me from going berserk. She unquestioningly offered herself as food for me whenever I'm about to go berserk. She also tended to my wounds caused by the experiments. She, in a way, had turned into the motherly figure I always look up to.

"Thank you, Misaki," I whispered to Misaki as she helped me walk. She gave me a genuine smile, saying she was glad that I managed to hold myself back.

We walked out of the area where I had brought us earlier, and I found several of the students talking in hushed voices. I cleared my throat and they all turned to us. "I guess you guys wanted an explanation, huh?" I asked.

The guy with glasses stood up and approached us. "I'm Tenya Iida, the class president. Even though we all had gotten into a wrong start, I'm willing to hear your side of the story."

I was taken aback by the way he had approached us. I bit back my lower lip as I tried to prevent it from shaking. A second chance.

I tried to stand up on my own, but my legs would not move. So instead, I went onto all fours, before touching my forehead to the floor. Iida was taken aback as he began to stutter but I cut him off. "Forgive me, Tenya Iida. My own body had acted on its own as a result of the side effects of the artificial quirk in my system."

"Artificial quirk?" I heard a few set of footsteps approach us, but I did not lift my head up.

"Yes," I responded. "I was a guinea pig in an experiment. As you all have witnessed, the quirk that I used was what the experiment is all about. They are trying to fuse a random individual's quirk to another person, let it be a normal person or a person with a quirk. They call the artificial quirk Kagune. And those who are experimented on are labelled as ghouls. There are several of us here, but only a few managed to survive the after effects of having a quirk forced into an individual's system.

"We were all treated like shit here. The only meals we can eat are a moldy loaf of bread and a barely cooked piece of meat. We were then subjected to a certain diet whenever we used the quirk, that being blood and flesh of a hu-human." I felt disgusted as the words roll off my tongue.

"For years, this torture had continued, but just a week ago, they just suddenly stopped. I didn't think that they were planning for anything, other than new subjects to test on. But I never thought they'd go beyond the line and kidnap students from a prestigious academy," I finished.

"I, Hikari, beg all of your forgiveness for my behavior," I stated. "If I only knew that my actions earlier would lead to this, I wouldn't have retaliated against Two Face."

Silence followed after. I was afraid that they would look at me with hatred in their eyes, but I know there's nothing I can do if they won't accept my apology.

"Hikari-san, I'm Uraraka Ochaco. Nice to meet you," a voice spoke which caught me off-guard. "Please lift your head."

Slowly, I lifted my head and my eyes landed on the brunette, the girl that I almost killed. She gave me a smile, and that's when the tears began to fall from my eyes.

"I-I'm sorry," I muttered to her.

But she shook her head, "It's okay. I understand why you acted the way you did."

Then everyone began to introduce their names. There were too many names to match with faces, so it's going to be awkward later on when I decide to ask for help from one of them.

"I truly am sorry."