Chapter 3 - Harper

"Dammit, I'm going to be late," I spoke lightly, grabbing my copy of Moby Dick and booking it off the bus. Everyone was already walking into the front building. Shit, I thought running towards the building. Not too long after I collided into a strong back. I clutched my nose on the ground, looking at the back of the stranger. He had luscious black locks and quite pale skin. From the back, you could see his broad shoulders somewhat lurching a little bit forward and his stance stood very confident. He turned around showing his bright red eyes. His hair seemed more curly than before and his light stubble gave him a little of an unclean look yet he looked sleek.

"Oww, sorry, bout that, I tend to rush when I'm late," I muttered, my hand scavenging for my book. I found it, clutching it in my free hand. Still clutching my nose, I tried to get off my ass, the ground was starting to get uncomfortable. The guy grabbed my book, using his free hand to hold mine. A bolt seemed to shock throughout my body. He stared into my greenish blue eyes, his pupils trying not to dilate. My mouth gaped, thinking the situation out. The conclusion seemed to hit like a ton of bricks.

Mate.

-
"So you just left!" Ava yelled into my ear. So, after I found my mate I got up and ran away. I don't think I left a good impression. Ava tapped her foot waiting for an answer. Her purple eyes seemed glazed and her straight hair was pushed back by a white cap. Her full lips seemed to purse forward and one of her eyebrows cocked upwards. God this woman will drive me crazy.

"Yes! I didn't know what to do," I answered closing my locker. It would be lunch soon."I mean he was just there, and I think he was a vampire, you know my parents wouldn't approve, they'd kill him."

"Yeah Yeah. Look there's Sickle," Ava pointed behind me. I looked back to see sickle striding down the hallway. His medium curly hair and crisp brown eyes would strike the hearts of many. His medium skin gave him a glow under the light, which made him more attractive. I don't like him in that way but his looks capture ninety percent of the school. Too bad he's gay.

Sickle jumped next to us, pulling his best 'sorry I'm late face'. He swished his hair back, smoothing out his black shirt too. He seems to wear the same thing almost every day. But today he wore a knitted cardigan; it was a light taupe color. He looked at Ava and then back at me.

"What did I miss?" he spoke confusedly. Ava looked at him then at me. Do you want me to tell him? she spoke in my mind. She developed that particular skill when she was 16. Ava's mother put her through witching school when she was younger. Ava was born half witch, but you could never tell. She was more talented than most of her kind here. And most of them are purebred. I nodded at her response; you can't get anything past Sickle anyway. She looked at me then to Sickle.

"Miss thing over here just met her mate," Ava spoke. Sickle looked shocked, a big smile was splattered on his face as he clapped his hands then Ava began to speak again."And she just walked away."

Sickle frowned, slapping my arm. He seemed to have no mercy today.

"Ow, what was that for! Rip off my arm why don't ya," I yelled a little too loud. He gave me the realistic look. He slapped my arm again before resting his hands on his hips. He looked at me for a good while.

"Girl, you just met your mate and you just walked away, yeah give him a sense of security," he spoke a little lighter then I did. He shook his head, clicking his tongue in disappointment."Honey, I love you and all, but that was a little fucked up."I blushed a little bit from embarrassment. I just want to go home and see Adrian. He's probably at my Aunt June's house.

"Whatever, can we just go eat lunch, I'm starving," I muttered, looking at my two best friends. They both grabbed me and practically dragged me to the cafeteria. Only my friends, would literally pick me up and drag me to a place where food is served.

-
After getting my pepperoni pizza, I made my way to the back of the cafeteria. Ava was already sitting there, while Sickle was catching up with his pack before making his way back towards Ava. I sat down next to Ava, trying not to drop my tray of food. Last time I dropped my tray and it spilled all over her white jeans and she threatened to curse me. I love her so much. After sitting down, Ava turned my direction, pointing subtly behind me.

"Trouble 9 o'clock," She spoke, turning her head away. I looked over to see a girl with perfect blonde hair strutting with her two goons towards our table. I mentally cringed at the amount of makeup the girls were wearing. They looked like the circus clowns in the traveling car. But, men somehow find them attractive. She stopped at the end of the table, getting ready to speak some nasty slur towards Ava or something.

"Ah. Look. If it isn't halvsey in the flesh. Are you just hiding cause you know your not a thriving purebred, that you'll always be weaker," the bitch said in her annoying high pitched voice. Her entourage giggled while I scoffed. Ava was more sensitive than I was and it pained me to see her weak. I stood up from the table cracking my neck before speaking.

"Hey hey hey. Now there's no need to be a bitch," I spoke to her clearly; she was already taking offense to me even saying she's a bitch. I mean what can I say, it's just in her nature. I cracked my knuckles then spoke again."I mean come on, it's in your nature, but I don't think you want to make a fool of yourself in front of everybody here."

She gave me a hella cringy look. Her nose crinkled and her eyes went wide. She raised her fist. She wouldn't dare, I thought thinking she couldn't possibly think of hitting me. Then she swung. She fucking did. As I went to block the attack, a hand came in and blocked the impact.