Chapter 8 - Part 2 Harper/Xander

Harper;

Seeing the man in front of me, I could hardly believe it was the same person I had known many years ago. He was taller, more well-kept, and his features looked more angular. A slight stubble growing on his sharp jaw. The little girls were giggling in their own conversation. The woman with long dark hair brushed her way towards Mason, a look of worry on her face.

"Mason, dear, do you know this girl?" she spoke with a weary voice; it was soft and gentle. Her hand reached its way towards Mason's shoulder, finding it, then gently grasping it in reassurance. He remained still, quiet. I was scared; hurt.

"Not that I remember Nasine," he spoke talking a breathy gulp and then turning his way towards Nuevo. Nuevo shook his head, a light smile curling at the corner of his lips. I was in pure shock at how fluid anyone is about this.

I shoot up from my spot at the dining table, my chair falling toward the ground in the process. Tears stung in my eyes as I thought of all the memories I had tried to keep suppressed. I could feel the beading eyes of everyone around me.

Judgment.

Xander lifted his hand, to my back rubbing it up and down my spine soothingly.

"Harper, are you okay-."

"Excuse me," I cut off Xander, pushing my way out of the dining room and running towards the stairs. The sound of someone chasing me could be heard faintly as tears were streaming down my cheeks. How can my brother, one I had been very close too and had not seen for years, pretend like he doesn't even know me? The thought sickened me even more as my heels clattered against the hardwood stairs; my vision blurring as the stairs soon ended.

Down a wide hallway, I ran some more: reaching for the last door on the left of me- Swinging it open then shutting it tight. I couldn't hear any more heavy-weighted footsteps trailing down the hallway, so I turned around, wiping the already fallen tears then locking the solid door. I looked at my shaking hands, a light coat of mascara was smeared across them. I wiped them on the hem of my dress noticing the black wiping off my hands as the opaque color of mint covered it. I released my dress, having it flow back down.

I looked around the room around me, taking note of the almost dull bedroom. I compared it to mine; from the difference in colors and overall cleanliness. I walked towards the dark wood desk, grazing my finger on the wood to see not a single speck of dust. On the desk was a neat stack of folders, papers neatly stack in and between them. A small ink jar was on the left side of the desk, a quill lying beside it. A small notebook rested in the middle of the desk, crisp, and lined up perfectly. A small latch held it closed as a small keyhole locked it.

I grazed my fingertips on it lightly, feeling the tough leather cover. I looked above the desk, on one of the many gray colored wallpaper walls, noticing a framed picture. It was a drawing, from the looks of it done entirely in pen. It was an older lady, hair neatly put up in a bun. Her face seemed to sag with age as wrinkles covering her entire face. She wasn't smiling but instead was frowning as her face was relaxed. In a way, she looked like Xander; same eyes, same lips: same deep expression. It was almost like a mirror image.

A gold plaque was bolted in the frame below the picture. A cursive engraving was carved into it, as it seems to be repainted in black for a more bold statement.

In Loving Memory of Valmilda Drawn.

I had known of cases where vampires had died of old age, but only a few. Confusion had riddled my face, as I turned around to see a well made twin-sized bed. The wooden frame was solid oak, looking strong, sturdy. It was carved beautifully, with delicate flowers made in the wood. There were only two flowers together on the board; hydrangeas and peonies. The thought of Mason came back into my mind, as tears started to swell back into my eyes. My nose felt stuffed as I remembered other memories I tried so hard to forget. My hands were shaking with a type of panic, as my body lurched forward; tears streaming down my cheeks uncontrollably.

Is this what fear is?

I felt fear for the first time in my life since Mason left. After he did, my emotions on the outside had become numb: the only real emotions were when I was around my loving friends. I could feel anger, I could feel pain, but the sadness, and fear, and most love was gone. I felt out of control and between a mess I was not in. I was losing touch.

The door swung open with a great force. I turned back seeing Xander's suit slightly crinkled and his hair unkempt. I looked into his eyes, seeing his expression change into a feeling of deep sorrow. I ran up to him, locking my arms tightly around his torso semi-tightly. His body tensed as I cried into his shoulder. I could feel his arms slowly raise and press his arms around my back, pulling me closer to him.

"It's okay," he whispered lightly rubbing his hand up and down my back."It's alright."

"I'm scared," I chocked out the words, my voice sounding forced and strained. Xander pulled back, looking at me in pure confusion. I scrunched my nose, pulling him back into my arms.

"Scared of what?" he questioned, his voice shuttering in pure confusion.

"Scared of losing someone I love."

---

Xander;

I wiped the tears off Harper's face, her makeup now almost nonexistent as her puffy eyes made me feel almost a pang of slight sadness. What does she mean she was afraid of losing someone; and more importantly, who? She wiped the back of her hand across her red nose. she sniffled a little bit, sighing out a breath of release.

"Thanks," She muttered looking away from my eyes. I noticed how she gazed toward her feet; swaying back and forth lightly, clearly uncomfortable. I took my eyes away from her and looked towards the room. An abundance of memories had flown back making me lead Harper out of the room. I closed the door, telling Harper to shake it off and come back downstairs.

No-one needs to know.