thirty eight | friends

ZHU ZHENGTING

Staying in Xukun's room while he went downstairs to tell his mom that he had a friend over was a bit awkward. I could only hear their muffled voices over the wooden door.

I sat on his bed and had the urge on lying down, but decided not to. His bed was neat and clean, it was a bit embarassing to make it messy.

The door suddenly opened, making me jump a bit. "Hey, they uh, wanted to meet you." Xukun said while smiling.

I stood up from his bed and stretched. "Are your parents scary?"

"No." He said and then let out a laugh. "Don't be nervous, come on."

He tugged me towards downstairs and I immediately bowed after seeing them.

Xukun looked like his parents so much, that if ever you see them, you'd know that they're his parents.

"Good evening, Mr. and Mrs. Cai." I greeted, flashing them both a smile.

His dad was grinning at me and then nodded. On the other hand, his mom had this warm smile on her face. "You can call me mom, sweetie."

Before I could say anything, Xukun coughed. "He's staying her til Wednesday."

"Oh! That's great, then!" His mom exclaimed and then beamed at me. "Xukun doesn't really bring guests over so I guess you're special to him."

"Mom." He said, his eyes widened.

"It's true." His dad said, chuckling.

"You're really so beautiful, Zhengting." Mom said. "I thought you were a girl but oh my gosh!" She pinched my cheeks. "You're very pretty, can you date my son?"

My cheeks turned pink. "I-"

"Alright." Xukun cut off. "We'll be upstairs."

"Don't do it, kids!" His dad laughed. "I'm kidding."

Xukun rolled his eyes, then grabbed me towards his room. I turn my back to smile at his parents. "Have a good day Mr. and Mrs. Cai! - Kunkun, ow! stop pulling me!"

Being the clumsy shit I am, I almost stumble on the stairs.

We were finally in his room and I chuckled. "Your parents are -"

"Embarassing. I know." He said, still not looking at me.

"They're fun." I said, laughing.

"Sure." He said, shaking his head. "Oh, I forgot to show you your room."

He opened the door and pointed at the room in front of it. "That's your room, so just call me if you need anything."

"Thank you, Xukun." I said.

"Nah, it's honestly fine. We're friends, right?" He said, looking unsure.

"Yeah. Friends." I emphasized at the word.

Friends just don't kiss each other.

Or call each other pet names.

I coughed. "Anyway, I'll just go check it out."

I shyly walked out of the room and closed the door behind me.

-

"So, Zhengting, what are your hobbies?" Xukun's dad asked.

We were having dinner, and I was sat beside Xukun.

"I, um, dance." I answered.

"Zhengting's a great dancer." Xukun said, nodding his head. "We even choreographed a dance together."

"Yeah, Xukun is great as well." I said, smiling. I was already so full but Xukun's mom kept on giving me some dumplings that she made. It was honestly so delicious though. "Thanks for the food, Mrs. - I mean, Mom."

"We barely have guests over, darling. Xukun doesn't really invite his friends, except you and Ziyi. You know him, right?" His mom replied.

"Oh, yes. He's a friend of mine as well." I grinned.

Of course, Ziyi has been here.

"I'm glad Xukun has great friends." His dad said.

Friends.

"By the way, your sister will come tomorrow." His mom told him and then turned to me. "Do you want more dumplings?"

-

I woke up in the middle of the night because of a nightmare. Though my eyes are open I can't think of why; my heart is pounding, mind empty. Without thinking, my body stood up and walked towards Xukun's room.

I noticed that he was still awake and was still on his phone. He glanced at me when I suddenly entered. "Hey, you alright?"

I just nodded. "C-can I sleep here?"

"Did you have another nightmare?" He asked me.

I nodded once again.

"Come here." He said and scooted to make more space in his bed. "I'll just sleep on the floor."

"No." I said, grabbing his hand as I lied down. "P-please stay."

He nodded and lied back down. "Shh, it's gonna be okay." He, then, pulled my body closer to him, making me hear his heartbeat.

-
heLLO I AM ALIVE!!
SORRY FOR NOT UPDATING MUCH THIS WEEK IM JUST WORKING ON MY COLLEGE THESIS