The Hero Is Yet to Come

Chapter 3: The Hero Is Yet to Come

I choked on my breath as I stared at my phone in shock. Car accident? Critical condition? This wasn't happening. This could not be happening. I mean sure, I acted like a brat towards them, but I really did love them. Losing my parents would be...

No. They weren't dead. They were in bad condition, but that didn't mean they were going to die... right? They couldn't die. They couldn't leave me alone.

But... What if they did? What if they died? What would I do? What would happen to me? I dropped to my knees and clutched at my throat. I couldn't breathe. I couldn't think. What do I do? What do I do? Where will I go? Oh god, I can't breathe. I can't breathe. Ican'tbreatheI'mterrifiedIdon'tknowwhattodohelpmehelpmehelpmehelpme.

Sudden explosion of cold hit my head and I almost passed out. "Destiny! Destiny are you okay?! Destiny!" I began to register hands gripping my shoulder and shaking me. Teeth chattering from the cold and still dazed from the panic attack, I looked up to see Mrs. Timsdale staring at me, wide - eyed. Her wrinkled face was pale from shock and her already shaky hands were trembling more than usual. "Destiny, sweetheart, what happened? Do you need me to take you to the hospital?"

My eyes widened, and I lurched towards her, "Please! Mrs. Timsdale, my parents! They're in the hospital! I need to get to them!" I begged, my voice rising higher with hysteria. Although my heart was still pounding from the attack, the fact that my parents were still in the hospital quickly cleared my head. "Please Mrs. Timsdale, could you take me to my parents?"

Mrs. Timsdale examined me slowly and thought about it. "Well, if I do take you, you have to make sure the nurses give you something as well." Oh thank God. "Come on, sweetheart. Let's go."

After a mind-numbingly quick drive, we reached the hospital. I jumped out of the car, and rushed to the receptionist's desk. "Excuse me," I said breathing hard, "but do you know where Mr and Mrs McKennel are?" I questioned the motherly-looking woman sitting in front of me.

"I'm sorry, but are you related to either of them?" she asked, smiling gently at me.

"Yes, I'm their daughter," I saw her hesitate and quickly added, "I turned eighteen today. And if you try to hold back any information, I'll look for their room myself, to hell with the consequences."

She blinked, a little startled at my outburst, and quickly typed something on the computer. "Mr and Mrs McKennel can't take any visitors at the moment, you could stay in the waiting room, and I'll come to inform you when they're ready."

I hesitated, then slowly nodded as I turned around. Mrs. Timsdale smiled softly at me and guided me to an uncomfortable chair in the waiting room. A few minutes later, doctors and nurses began rushing around, speaking to each other in hushed, frantic voices. I sat up a little as I watched them all rush into a single room. A prickling sensation began at the back of my neck as I saw the nurses rushing out then back into the room, their faces growing paler and more anxious every passing moment.

Suddenly, I heard it. "Clear!" a desperate voice could clearly be heard above the cacophony of the bustling of the nurses and doctors. A few seconds later, dead silence. An awful sensation crept up my spine, when I noticed the receptionist from before walking towards me.

Her face was pale and stony, and her eyes glimmered with pity and sadness. When she reached me, she opened her mouth to say something, but closed it. She closed her eyes and said in a robotic voice, "Katherine McKennel, aged 42, died on September the first, 2014, at 6:15 P.M. David McKennel, aged 43, died on September the first, 2014, at 6:22 P.M." she opened her eyes and looked at me with pity written all over face. "You have my deepest condolences." she gently squeezed my shoulder and quietly walked away.