Drop Dead, Hick!

trust - christina perri

"I never wanted to be less than ordinary.."

The next morning Daryl was already up before dawn, his cell door shutting as he made his exit. He lit a candle or two to signify that he was awake, and then took his leave. As the daylight grew brighter, the group stirred, the next to waken being Rick and Carol. It was obvious that off in the different blocks, the community was slowly coming to life. Morning activities were to start soon, and thus those with duties critical at such an early hour were beginning to rise and shine. As a few people shuffled past Mae's cell, one of them paused.

"Shouldn't we wake her up?" whispered a young woman. It was Sasha.

The next to speak was obviously the regal leader. "Naw, let her sleep. She deserves it..." Then there was a moment before they continued to exit.

||

Morning passed by quickly, and soon sunlight filtered in through the windows in dusty, watery shafts. Mae couldn't remember the last time sleep had felt so good, nor how it felt to wake up and not have your body be aching from either a hardwood floor or in her case a metal pipe. So, when her eyes fluttered open to see the day had already started, she felt more than a little guilty. Swinging her legs over the side of her cot, she raised her arms above her head beginning to stretch. The smell of food was once again in the air, making a soft sigh leave her lips. Great, another meal that she hadn't earned and another hour of having Daryl look like he wanted to rip her head off. Stiffly the girl stood up, making her way over to the sink she began to wash her face. Attempting to wake herself up, her hand hands went to her rather unruly hair. Within minutes she'd braided it down her back, leaving her feeling a little less messy. Shouting and a deep throaty laugh erupted from down the way, around the back of the metal staircase. Quietly, she listened to the noise outside her cell.

Merle was greeting someone with vigor, clapping him on the back. The smell of ham and eggs wafted up from down the way, the sound of clinking forks echoing through the large corridor. "Ain't had a hot breakfast in so long-- wooh!" hooted Merle. "Didn't get nothin' like this back in Woodbury!"

"Its 'cause that sonovabitch wasn't smart enough to raise live animals," Daryl pointed out. "He could've also gone huntin'. He had you, after all. Why didn' you jus' help him out?"

"He was too focus'd on th' big picture. Wouldn't listen to me no-how. Besides..." Merle trailed off. "That was your thing, 'member?" Daryl continued to adjust the strap upon his shoulder. The conversation would die down occasionally, and then start up again, making small-talk.

After she knew they were gone, she made her way from the cell. Mae wasn't exactly excited about this breakfast thing. She could hear Merle somewhere near, which meant Daryl was no doubt super close by. Wrinkling her nose, the girl made the quick decision to find Carol. The older woman had been exceptionally kind to Mae and honestly reminded her a bit of her own mother. A soft hum left her lips when she made it into the kitchen. Watching as the woman dished up the bowels of food. Mae went right next to her picking a spoon and began to fill them up as well. "Good mornin, Miss Carol..." she murmured, always remembering to be polite. Despite the world ending it still felt wrong to call adults anything other than Mister Or Miss. Carol looked up from what she was doing, gazing upon Mae was a smile.