Stubborn Jackass

beck + call - july talk

"it is no surprise that your heart is the size of your fist..."

The days flew by, and soon the weather was beginning to become cooler. The first rays of light were beginning to filter in through the windows settled high above in Block C. Stirring in the top bunk, Beth rolled over and murmured softly in her dreams. "Mae, hey... it's time to wake up. C'mon, you're gonna be late," he prodded. A hand began to gently shake her and a yawn escaped the young girl, her eyes flying open to find Rick hovering above her. He began to plod out, leaving her to dress and wake herself up before she went out for her first run. "Your partner'll be waiting for you by the front gates. Don't keep them waiting..." Rick then slipped silently out so he could catch a few more winks of sleep before his own duties started.

Nodding along to his words, she quickly stumbled up, choosing to change into her older pair of clothes. She figured if they ran into walkers it wouldn't be so bad to ruin them. Still tired as ever she made her way out towards the gate. Mae had to admit, she was slightly nervous on who it was gonna be waitin' on her.Biting her bottom lip, she pushed the door open, light exploding into the prison. Narrowing her now burning eyes, she made her way down the slope, enjoying how the birds sang and ignoring the constant hungry cries of the walkers. Carefully she plodded toward the parking lot along the fence line... eyes fastening themselves to figure leaning against the wall, she stopped in her tracks. "This better be some kind of not funny joke.." she hissed, her hands on her hips as she glared at the man in front of her.

||

Daryl had been told to wait before leaving so early in the morning (for some stupid reason), because Rick had told him that he would be joining him soon. The archer scuffed his boot in the grass, walking past the reaching roamers. Their rotten smell had become something he was used to at this point, but he was still thankful for the intoxicating scent of tobacco that filled his nose as the cigarette hanging from his lips smoldered in the chilly morning wind. If Rick didn't hurry up soon, they wouldn't even be out before dawn. Frustration was beginning to fill Daryl to the brim as he leaned against the fence, hands in his pockets and one foot kicked up. He huddled into his jacket and vest, the baggy green flannel cuffs poking out from beneath the sleeves of his leather coat. He took a drag of his cigarette and then allowed the smoke to draw outward, the smoke whispering into the air in a great cloud.

Daryl turned his eyes up as he heard the door opening behind him. He turned. "Took ya long enough. C'mon, we gotta get out bef--"

It wasn't Rick. It wasn't Rick... if it weren't Rick, fine, but of course it was that stupid bitch.

This was a way of getting back at him for losin' his temper back when she tried to climb the fence. His expression dropped instantly and he looked at her, observing how she let out that sarcastic soprano drawl of hers and walked with a strut that made him want to tear her legs right off. She was such a prissy princess. Daryl simply remained silent and he snorted then, not even givin' her the slightest chance. He wasn't gonna put up with her bullshit. He turned toward the bike, shooting it a glance, but instead headed for the truck. When he realized she wasn't following, he turned and peered over his shoulder. The archer then turned in a semi-circle to face her.