Chapter 7

Chapter 7

Viviana

The store Griffen works at is quite adorable as little stores go. It wouldn't kill the older man up front to be kinder but his bristly attitude added to the stores homey atmosphere. It was actually quite clean in the shop and the calm silence enveloped me in a peace like no other.

"Hey Alfred," Griffen waved at the old man manning the check out.

"What do you want now kid? First you're slacking on cleaning and now you're bringing your girlfriend to work. Do you have no respect for this facility? I can report this to the boss and have you down graded to restroom duty or worse fired." Alfred barked back at him.

"Oh no, we aren't together sir, I am just a friend. I can leave if my presence will be a disturbance." I interject before Griffen could reply and get himself fired. I stepped over and whispered, "I can work outside I don't mind really."

"No you'll get cold the temperature is starting to drop at night." he disagreed then, turning back to Alfred said, "She just needs a place to work on a school project of ours, if that's okay. I promise I will still do my work and won't get distracted."

"I can even work the cash register if you want, I have experience and just work on the blanket when the customers die down, and of course you won't need to pay me since this is a one time thing." I offer. Hopefully free labor is a good way to bribe him.

"You can work a register?" he asked.

"Yes sir."

"And I won't need to constantly explain stuff to you?"

"No sir."

"Alright then, go to register two and get to work."

I settled myself down the rusty red leather upholstered stool that was behind register to and began searching the blanket for clues, but I was having no luck. Griffen tried to stay up front and help me he even offered to fake sick so we could work on the blanket but Alfred threatened him to restroom duty again and immediately Griffen was back to mopping the already squeaky clean aisles.

Over the next few hours only fifteen or so people came into the store. I was in the middle of checking out an overweight middle aged lady in a hot pink and lime green tank top when the door chimed.

I handed the lady her changed and then her two plastic bags. "Thank you for shopping with us." I tell her.

Only a second after she leaves I looked up to find a fuming red faced glancing from side to side, looking for someone.

"Griffen!" she screeched. "We need to talk now! Where are you you little-" she fell silent when she saw me. "You!" if a human could growl that was the sound it would make. "You- you bitch! You helped him didn't you? You helped him beat up Brandon. He looked awful by the time I got to see him. He had freaking scorch marks, you were gonna light him on fire weren't you, you heartless whore! Were you trying to kill him? Nothing to say hmmm? That is interesting, why so silent all of a sudden, Viviana? Speak up you useless worm and talk to me."

I was frozen in shock. I didn't know what to say. Much less how to do so and simultaneously not reveal myself or end up in way more trouble than I have time for. Then footsteps approached.

"Tegan," Griffen looked like he could burn a hole trough her with just that one look. But when he spoke he was controlled and commanding. "Stop. Insulting. Her." Tegan opened her mouth to dispute his theory but he cut her off. "No! I don't care what happened or what who did. Leave her alone."

"But this- this," she made a sound that was a cross between a sigh and a groan. "I don't even know an insult disgusting enough for her. She went off and beat up and almost killed Brandon, and with you of all people. How could you do that to me your own sister." Then she started fake crying pitifully. A false sob erupted from her throat, I gagged.