Chapter 1

The ruins of Pompeii.  Sad but true. The greatest volcanic eruption ever known happened to a small city that did nothing to deserve what they had received.   History fanatics who visit Pompeii today, study and think of what could be hidden inside the terrible tragedy. A man named Bill Lewis and his search group set out to find the great mysteries that lay beyond.  What they will find; the world may never see coming.

    “Hey Bill,  we have an issue with the engine on one of the tractors.  Uh, do you think you could fix it?”

“Yeah, yeah, just give me a sec.”

While driving through the lost city on his tractor, Bill could not believe what was in front of his eyes.   Broken statues, buildings that were destroyed... crumbled down into dust, debris and artifacts beyond your imagination.  Bill lost his track of thought and before he knew it, a large “bump” threw him backward. The workers turned around to see what had caused the collision.  “Do you realize what the hell you’ve just done!” one of them exclaimed.

“Yeah watch where you're going buddy!”  

    Trying to forget that he practically just destroyed his brand new John Deere, Bill said, “Looks like we’re walking fellas.”  He grabbed his camera, and set off into the city.

“Roll the camera.” Bill ordered.  

“And we’re rolling in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1…” Then Bill went off.

“Today is May 4, 2016.  I’m Bill Lewis and this is my research group,” he started.  “It still gets me everytime to see what was once a beautiful city, lost in destruction,” he continued, “It’s so devastating to remember noon of August 24th, 79 A.D., where the most destructive volcano let loose; leaving many souls to sink down into the ground; from the world above.”  Pause for effect, Bill thought.  

“You’re so full of crap boss.”  His co-worker Mike stated. Bill smiled back at him and went on.  

“Not only was the lava dangerous, but so was the after-gas coming from that thing, killing most that remained; leaving only very few to outrun it, and survive. But, if the after-gasses from the volcano touched you; well, it was goodbye in a matter of seconds; minutes at most.”

“And cut!” the camera man shouted.

“Alright, enough of that bull,” Bill said.  “Let’s go search for what we really came here for.”

    Bill and his workers ran to a large cottage, and busted the door open.

What they saw inside was sad and appalling.  Broken windows, and furniture, the beds where the residents had slept were knocked over with the wood rotting, and even boxes of beautiful jewelry.  But none of that mattered to Bill. He was there for one reason, and one reason only: for the diamond.

    They entered a small room that looked like it used to have been a bathroom.  “Oops. Looks like someone left the water running,” Mike says trying to lighten the depressing mood.  Next they entered the master bedroom. Bill had finally forgotten about the diamond for a second and noticed that even though this place was a cottage, it’s size was close to the size of the first-class cabins on the Titanic.  To still find a house in the marked off ruins of Pompeii is very rare. For the area that they were in was not a tourist attraction, it was almost like a hidden secret. Bill could hardly walk, he was so amazed by the condition the house was in.  Of course it wasn’t a perfect move in ready place. There was dried lava turned to stone that practically worked as a floor, and ashes that went up to your ankles; but the fact that the house was still standing is incredible.

    They moved on through the master bedroom, where debris and burnt objects lay.  Out of all of it, something caught Bill’s eye.

“That large piece of wood, get closer, he quietly ordered.

“Why?” Mike asked.

“I wanna see what’s under it,” Bill answered.  

Doing as he was told, Mike and the rest of the crew worked together to lift the wood up.  What they found under it was astonishing.

    Bill stared at an old rusty safe, that was just newly revealed from

underneath the debris.  He just couldn’t stop smiling.  Finally, Bill opened his mouth to speak.  “It’s showtime boys,” he said excitedly.

    Bill and his crew loaded the safe onto the van and went back to their headquarters.  As soon as they got there, they immediately rejoiced their new discovery. “Alright, crack her open,” Bill said trying to catch his breath.  Mike wanted to have some fun opening up the safe, so he took a chain, attached it to the van, and then to the safe. Mike got into the vehicle, and pounded on the gas, until suddenly the safe’s iron door ripped off it’s hinges.  Bill crept down to the ground and reached his hand inside, excited. He began ripping out ash, more ash, papers, and a book of some sort. His excitement quickly grew to disappointment, and anger, when he realized that the diamond wasn’t in the safe.  

“Maybe this stuff could be clues that lead us to the diamond,” Mike suggested.

“You’re right,” Bill replied.  He gained his strength, and barked orders to his men.  “Alright, I want every ounce of what is in the safe to be taken to the lab and studied!”

    Inside the lab, Bill’s crew passionately worked on tracing clues towards the diamond.  He proudly watched the good work being done, until he was abruptly interrupted by a phone call.  Bill answered politely, “Roger, Barry, hi.... No it wasn’t in the safe; but hey there’s still plenty of places it could be....Heck yeah! The floor debris, the sitting room, even the mother’s room...”

“Uh Bill; you might want to take a look at this.” a worker said.  Bill looked up, stunned.

“Hold on a sec,” he told the voice over the phone.  “What is that?” he next asked. Bill looked down to see what might be a diary. He held it his hands carefully examining it.  He opened the diary to find the corners of the pages burnt. Something suddenly fell on the floor. Bill gasped. “Hand me the other photograph of the necklace.” he ordered.  He picked up what fell on the floor, and held it close to his face. It was a folded up painting of a woman wearing a beautiful diamond necklace; sitting in the sunset. The painting was created on paper, instead of an easel; and the paint seemed to be made of mashed berries; but the detailing was still so pulchritudinous.  

A worker handed the picture to his boss, as he was ordered. Bill compared the painting to the photograph, and yes!  The necklace in the portrait was the same as the one in the photo!

“I’ll be goddamned!” Bill quietly exclaimed.  “Gather ‘round” he next said.

    “Hey; what’s the name of the diamond again?” a worker asked.

“The Stone of the Fire,” Bill answered, annoyed that an employee didn’t know the name of the artifact they had spent three years looking for.  

Bill then sat in a chair and began to read the diary out loud.  “Day one in Pompeii…” and soon it was like they were there.