Chapter 9

Mr. Dunn arrived at the cottage with great news for Holten!  He walked in the door to see his master pacing back and forth across the sitting room floor.  Holten looked up and noticed his little man-servant standing there.

    “Did you find them?” he asked without any patience.

    “She’s on the other side of town...planning to escape.  With him.” Mr. Dunn answered.  The way that he said the last part made chills run down Holten’s spine.  He gulped in response, as his face turned red as a firing flame. Raged, Holten screamed at the top of his lungs to let out his anger.  He then kicked a chair over, and threw a vase; leaving it to smash on the ground. Mr. Dunn watched as the tantrum took place, and jumped from the shattering noise portrayed on the floor.  Holten stopped raging, and paced urgently towards Mr. Dunn.

    He pointed a finger in his face.

“You find them, you capture that little rodent, and tie him up!  I don’t care where, just do it! I want you to take Emma, and bring her to me!  Then you’re going to go back...and finish that bastard off!” Holten schemingly ordered, with such an eerie tone of voice.  His partner in crime nodded as a response.

    Meanwhile, John and Emma were still on the park bench.  It was approaching noon, so they decided they wanted to do something.  They laid next to each other, and thought about possibilities. Suddenly, they saw crowds of people hustling into the Amphitheatre.  They were tearing through each other like wild animals; just so they could get in and see the show.

    “You wanna go check it out?” John asked.

    “Sure!” Emma answered with excitement.

    “Alright, let’s go,” John next said.  He then climbed over Emma, planted his feet on the ground, and stood up.  Emma began to sit up, when John took her by the hand, and playfully pulled her up.

    “May I escort you to the show my lady?” he said in a fancy tone, extending his arm.

    “You may,” Emma laughingly responded, then taking her love’s lending limb.

Together, the couple strolled across the street to the Amphitheatre.  As they walked in, John and Emma noticed that the audience was much larger than the one at the last event.

    “It must be a gladiatorial match,” John replied to the people before them.

    “Ooooo!  I’ve always wanted to see one of those!” Emma shouted, with excitement overwhelming her.  

John smiled.  He loved to see his girl with such free feelings.  He knew that she had been basically locked up her entire life, doing nothing but being primped, prodded, and perfected.  But in John’s eye, Emma didn’t have to be perfected...she was already perfect, just the way that she is. John honestly loved everything about Emma!  From her beauty, to her personality, to how rebellious she was. John thought about all these things, and couldn’t help but say, “I love you.”

Emma turned to John and smiled.  

“What was that for?” she questioned.

“Just sharing the truth,” John answered.

“Well, I love you too,” Emma responded, giving John a hug.  John wrapped his arms around Emma, and held her tightly. He loved the feeling of Emma’s warmth, and body to his.

“Where would you like to sit?” Emma asked as she removed herself from John’s grasp.

“Wherever you may like,” John calmly answered.

“Let’s sit in the middle,” Emma began, “It’s right in between the top and bottom, so I think that we’ll get the perfect view,” she finished informing.