Chapter 6

With her arms still wrapped around John’s neck, Emma leaned in for a second kiss.  John gave it to her without hesitating. This kiss was more soft and delicate; it gave such a warm and comfortable feeling.

“I guess that means you still love me too,” Emma chuckled.

“Yes, it does,” John chuckled back.

Minutes passed, and the two lovers walked out of the Amphitheatre, not letting go of each other’s hands.  John and Emma were so happy...and in love! For nothing could ruin these high feelings; until, suddenly, they saw Holten, Mrs. Sanderson, Mr. Dunn, and a whole search party looking for them!  They were fastly moving around in a huddle, calling Emma’s name. John and the wanted woman rushed away as fast as they could, and tried to camouflage with the crowds of people on the streets.  They next saw the search crew heading in their direction! John grabbed Emma by the hand and moved her along as fast as he could, over to the naked baby statue they laughed about the other day. Together, they hid behind it; out of sight.  But closer and closer the ghouls came! John and Emma became more and more nervous, for they didn’t know what would happen if they were found. Finally, after a few moments, Holten and all the others moved on. John and Emma’s breaths became lighter.  The pressure of being found was gone.

“Whooo,” John sighed.  “Are you alright Em?” he asked.

“I’m fine,” Emma answered.  “That was exhilarating!” she next shouted excitedly.  “Not once in my life have I ever done something that sneaky!” the joyful woman told John.  He looked at Emma surprised, and impressed.  John then gave Emma another quick kiss to show how delighted he was.

Now that the stressful scene was over, John and Emma decided to casually walk out from behind the statue.  John began to move ahead when Emma grabbed him by the arm and pulled him back. Emma moved close to John, and laid her hand on his chest; as John held it.  John then wrapped his other hand around Emma’s waist.

“John, I have such great feelings when I’m with you...feelings that I never want to go away!” Emma passionately exclaimed.

“What feelings are those?” John questioned.

“Love and freedom,” Emma calmly answered.  John looked at her with so many congenial emotions.  

“John, I want there to be a mark of our love.  Something that I can look at that will remind me of what I feel today.  John...I want you to paint me.” Emma said.

John leaned in even closer to Emma.  “Alright,” he whispered in her ear, then leaving a gentle kiss on the cheek.  Emma smiled in reply.

Since they knew the search party was out and about looking for them, John and Emma thought it was safe to quickly sneak back to the rich cottage, and grab a few things.   

“John, you be the lookout,” Emma ordered as they approached the house.  

“Alright, Captain Sanderson!”  John laughingly responded. Emma grinned back at him.  

Emma felt nervous about going into the house.  For she did not know if there might be someone lurking inside, watching, and waiting to pounce on their prey!  Emma kept her back to the side of the house and quickly peered inside.

“All clear?” John asked.  

“So far,” Emma quietly replied with a thumbs up.

Emma made her way into the home, and tip-toed along the hallway.  Rightnow the coast was clear, but Emma still wanted to be sure. She came about to another hallway, and once again leaned against the wall, and looked over to be certain.  The house was empty...or so Emma thought!