Chapter 4

Emma was paralysed with shock.  Everything around her was a blur.  Suddenly, she saw John standing over her, and flinched.  “It’s okay Emma, you’re okay,” John said with comfort, trying to hold back his tears from seeing Emma this way.  He picked her up and carried her out of the room while shooting Holten a dirty look. When he stepped inside the dining room with Emma in his arms, everyone took a second to stare, and then went on with life as if things were normal.  John was disgusted by this behavior; especially from the mother. He thought maybe she would at least care!

John brought Emma outside and sat on the front steps.  He cradled her in his arms thought about the horrific scene that was displayed in front of him. John looked down at the woman he was holding, and saw so many lacerations and bruises.  Emma is such a sweet person; he had no idea how a man could abuse her like this. Then, suddenly, she made a noise! Emma tried to speak! It was a little squeak, but it was still something!  “Emma. Emma,” John said. Next, Emma began to cry. “Shhh...Shhh...You’re okay...I’ve got you.” John whispered as he held her close to his chest. He could feel the hot tears staining his shirt.  John couldn’t help but hug Emma until she slowly began to sit up.

    “Has Holten abused you like that before?” John asked.

    “Once,” Emma replied wiping the tears from her face.

    “And you still stood up for me? Even if you knew it was possible something like that could happen again?”

    “I knew that Holten was a risk, but he’s a risk that I was willing to take,”  Emma answered.

    “But, why?”  John questioned.

    “Why wouldn’t I?  I care about you John,” said Emma sympathetically.  John was shocked by these words. She cares about me, he thought.  

“Why did you stand up for me?”  Emma asked.

    “I...care about you too,” John answered.  He knew what he wanted to do next, but he couldn’t.  John looked into Emma’s eyes and realized that this is the woman he loves.  

Despite the fact that it was forbidden between them, John began to lean in.  He moved closer towards Emma. She began to do the same. They were so close to sharing a kiss...until Tommy came rushing over.  

“John!  John! Chariot Racing!  Chariot Racing!” He shouted.  John looked up, upset that the moment had been ruined between him and Emma.  

“What are you talking about?” John questioned.

“They’re holding a chariot racing event tonight!”  Tommy answered.

“And…”  John said, waiting for Tommy to explain more.

“And that means there’s a chance for job openings!”  Tommy shouted; slapping his forehead. John looked at Emma, not wanting to leave her side.  

“Aye!  What happened to you?” Tommy asked, noticing the beat up woman.

“She doesn’t want to talk about it!” John snapped as he wrapped his arms around Emma, and held her tight.

“John…” Emma began.

“It’s ok,” he interrupted.  “Just go, Tommy,” John ordered.  Angry, Tommy turned around to leave.  

“Don’t come crying to me when I have a job, and you’re out on the streets; because this thing between you and her, won’t last very long!” he yelled, disappearing in the midnight darkness.

“John!  Go to him!” Emma demanded.

“I refuse to leave you here alone!” John replied, defensive.