Chapter 16.

"I think we should talk about Lucas" Max sighed over the talkie, her hands nervously twirling the chord. Mike froze when he heard her voice. He let out a small sigh as he decided to cut her off, his mind repeating Sarah's advice. Max curled back, as the sound of Mike's line cutting her off cut through her silent room. She felt a sting and let herself close her eyes, listening to the world go by outside. Mike on the other hand didn't feel like shutting down. He paced up and down his room until Nancy couldn't take it anymore. "'Mike!" she whined, slamming his door open. The boy spun around, frozen in his tracks. "Yeah?" he squeaked, causing Nancy to roll her eyes. "Stop whatever the hell you're doing... it's annoying" she hissed. Mike sighed, twisting the walkie in his hand. "It's Max..." he confessed for no particular reason. Nancy's stoic face softened visibly at the mention of the younger girl. "Is everything fine with her? Do I have to call Steve?" she pressed, her voice on edge. "No don't! It's just... Lucas... he's being dumb and thinks we..." Mike trailed off embarrassed at the mere thought. Nancy raised an eyebrow urging him to continue. "He thinks we're like a thing" Nancy bit back a smile, reminiscent of the misunderstanding Steve had with her and Jonathan a couple of years back. "Just talk to him, and clear things on your end" she offered, giving her younger brother a squeeze on the arm. "Wow mind blowing advice, if only Lucas was in the mood to talk" Mike drawled sarcastically. Nancy rolled her eyes again "well corner him into talking to you then" she replied, before swaying out the room, and to her satisfaction Mike had stopped pacing around his room instead choosing to lie down on his bed, now taking in Nancy's advice.

Max woke up with a start, causing her walkie to rattle to the ground. She groaned picking it back up as she remembered the fact that no fucking body wanted to talk to her. Not even Lucas, not even Mike. She felt her stomach bubble viciously and blamed it on hungriness, unfortunately she had no food and as usual everyone was out — Billy was probably getting wasted somewhere and her mom and step dad were at some stupid dinner party. She sighed and grabbed her emergency cash from her bedside, and decided to go visit Steve at the diner.

"You're back again?" Steve said softly as he saw the redhead approach. Max shrugged her shoulders casually before crossing the counter to stand beside Steve. "The usual" she mumbled, embarrassed that this was the third time this week. Steve whistled lowly and dipped some chips in the oil, grimacing slightly. "I think you should stay with me for a while... like semi permanently" he started cautiously. It was a huge step but the situation was complicated. Max looked like she stopped breathing beside him. Steve decided to stop her panic that was quickly and visibly growing. "I mean you're already technically over at mine most of the time so..." he sputtered, placing the chips on the plate. Max nodded silently not knowing what to say. Steve did have a point, she did stay at his for a whole week and a half unnoticed, it had to hurt when your own mom doesn't realise.

She sighed, and travelled from behind the counter to an empty booth, letting Steve get on with his job. She leant her head against the window and like something straight out of the movies, ended up drawing on the window. The girl was mid doodling what seemed like her hundredth smiley face when she noticed some familiar figures through the window.

Mike and Sarah.

I'm finally back after three months lmaoo! Have fun reading :)