Ep.2 - Day One

I glance at my watch - five more minutes left - before looking up again to find the red light still in place

I let out a groan, gripping the steering wheel tightly and narrowing my eyes.

"Come on, come on, five more minutes-- four now! I can't be late, I can't be late, I can't be late! Not for my first day after a promotion!" I mumble, hoping the lights would someway hear me and have mercy.

And luckily, they did.

I waited eagerly as the lights flashed orange, then green.

I stepped on it, calculating the best route to get there in time.

On time means late.

To my relief, I made it.

I stare at the station, walking past my normally reporting office to my upper team leader and fellow officer, but now, I need to report to the chief.

Not the most stern guy I've met -opposite of the role he owns, supposedly intimidating- a kind of built figure with grayish black hair.

I knock on the door before opening it slowly while peeking in.

"Chief, sir?"

I stifle a gasp and chuckle as I watch him lip syncing to a song muffled by his earphones.

I enter, clearing my throat before asking an "Excuse me?"

His shocked expression fades after turning off the music and removing his earphones.

He also clears his throat, straightening up his posture before glancing up at me.

"Good morning, Rin. You're quite early."

I couldn't hold in the chuckle that escapes my lips, my head turning to the clock.

"It's exactly seven A.M., like scheduled, chief."

"No need for formality, you're not even an officer anymore." He tries changing the subject, earning an unreadable expression from me.

"Unfortunately, I would like to keep things professional, unless that is an order." I claim, straightening myself up as well.

"Okay, then..." he shifts awkwardly.

How did he get this position again?

"Is my first task to report to bighit's manager?" I ask, breaking the awkward silence, getting into topic.

"Precisely, no wonder you're the top of the choices." He says before picking up a stack of papers from his right desk and bringing them to his front desk, me sitting in front of his front desk.

"Thank you, chief. Now for my first job as bodyguard--"

"You seem quite eager to proceed, huh?" He smiles devilishly at me, earning a protesting look.