Chapter 30- DNA

COP- Chp. 30

We found Brianna at a local coffee shop and even though I had refused, Jessy got out of the car and followed me in. I was nervous. What if Brianna didn't want to cooperate with us, then what was I supposed to do?

Jessy took my hand in his and we stood in front of Brianna.

"Hi." She said and slightly smiled.

I smiled back. After all, she could be my sister.

"Do you wanna sit down?" She nervously asked and Jessy and I took a seat. It was awkward at first. Very awkward. Last time I had seen her was after Bradley's dad had told me we were related. Possibly.

"How are you?" I asked. I didn't want to be rude and ask her straight away. Even though I was dying to.

"Good, you?" She asked.

"I'm not quite sure." I honestly said and shifted nervously in my seat.

She smiled awkwardly and then the waiter came and gave Brianna her coffee. "Want anything?" He asked us.

"Yes, a coffee please." I said.

"Two, actually." Jessy said.

"Look, Janelle, you can just skip right to what you really want to talk about and lets stop making this awkward." Brianna shocked me by saying.

"Well, alright then." I looked at Jessy and he gave a sharp nod, encouraging me to continue. "Brianna, I'm glad that I might have a sister, but, I need to know if you really are."

"So you think my dad is lying to you?" She defensively said.

This was what I was afraid of happening.

"No, no. I believe him. But I just want to be 100% sure. You understand, right? I mean, don't you want to know if we're sisters?" I asked and smiled, hoping to win her over.

"I do, but..." She trailed off.

"Brianna, I just don't want to live in the 'Im not quite sure' moment anymore."

"Well, what are we gonna do about it?" I had won her over.

"DNA test. I just need a strand of your hair, some of my dads, and then I'll know if we are related!" it was a lot easier said than done.

She was silent, thinking it over. Our coffees came and I gladly took a long sip.

"Fine." She finally said.

I tried to hide my smile. Finally, I was going to know the truth!

"Great!"

She asked for a small bag, if they had any, and they did. She pulled a couple strands of hair and put them in the bag. Then she handed them over to me.

"Please, don't let me know if he is my dad or not. Because I'll always just have one dad. I don't care if he has hurt my mother... She deserved it."

I quietly looked down at the strands of hair. I couldn't believe that even Lucy's own daughter had turned against her.

I nodded. "I won't."

"I'm glad that you might be my sister Jay! I am. But I prefer it this way. The way we both grew up. Thinking we were the best of friends. And I think it should stay that way."

"I agree, Bree. Don't worry. I'm going to resolve all of this on my own." I felt Jessy tense up. "With Jessy's help of course."

They chuckled and the atmosphere felt almost normal again. We finished our coffees, talked a bit more, then we left.