Chapter 69

-POV switched to: Helix-

After I finished talking to Luna, Horace and I continued to approach Thaleous' quarters. The closer we got, the more resistance we ran into. At first, Horace and I were able to match the ferocity of the guards as they threw themselves at us. We plowed through their ranks and left a path of death and gore in our wake. However, our strength began to wane after we slaughtered our way through the sixth wave of demons Thaleous threw at us. My advisor was breathing heavily, and he was holding onto his side.

"Shit..." my other spirit growled. "Help him-Do whatever you need to do, but don't let our advisor bleed out."

I set my wolf pack to attack mode and helped Horace sit down so I could tend to him.

"W-What are you doing?" he stammered.

"You're injured. You need to get some rest before we force our way into Thaleous' quarters."

"But Thaleous-." Horace began, only for me to cut him off.

"To hell with Thaleous. I won't be able to do shit if my new favorite advisor dies on me, so shut your pie hole and let me patch you up."

Even though I was a lupan, I still had my imagery magic skills on hand. I patched up Horace's side and gave him a boost of stamina. I then helped my trusty advisor up.

"Thank you." He breathed. "May we continue forth?"

I nodded, shrugging off my exhaustion and casting a shielding ward to offer us both some extra protection. "Aye, let's go."

Pressing onward, we finally stood before a set of towering double doors after tearing our way through two more waves of demon guards.

"Helix." Luna's voice made me jump, yet filled me with relief at the same time. "I was able to find my father, Dominick. I finally learned why he left me and my mom all those years ago." Her voice had an undercurrent of wonder in it. "We also found your gear. It'll be with Dorrian the pack mule, so go bug him whenever we regroup."

I chuckled, "Okay, thanks for the tip and the mental image to get me through the fight I'm about to throw myself into."

"No problem Hel."

I walked up to one of the doors and knocked on it.

"Knock, knock," I chortled, attempting to infuse my voice with as much glee as I could conjure up.

"Go away!" Thaleous screamed from the other side of the door.

"You're supposed to say 'who's there?' not 'go away!' Honestly, you wouldn't know a joke if it punched you in the dick," I snapped back.

I sighed when I was answered by silence. "This is why I can't have nice things..." I grumbled, closing my eyes and envisioning that the doors were so structurally compromised  I could break them with a single sneeze. After I had the thought of sneezing, I sneezed loudly, then jumped back as the large-ass doors crumbled before me as they had in my mind's eye.

I walked through the destroyed doors and caught sight of Thaleous. He didn't look too happy, and the mad glint in his eyes told me enough. His armor also looked pretty beaten up: dents, scratches, and a few missing chunks from his armor told me that I've roughed him up a lot more than I had previously thought.

"You" he spat, poison dripping from that one word: "So this was your grand plan? Bravo, but this little game ends here. This is the last time I will be fooled! The last time!" He screamed the last part: "Guards! Slaughter these lowly dogs! Kill them! Kill them all!"