Chapter 34

(The next day...)

I woke up and rubbed the sleep out of my eyes in an attempt to wake myself up. Evac had been called yesterday afternoon. If I could remember correctly, the tenth wave of civilians would be leaving soon.

Luna was curled up beside me. I tried to move, but she wasn't going to let me do such a thing.

I huffed, halting in my attempts to get out of bed, "Fine, I'll stay."

She chuckled and started purring softly.

"Crazy cat," I murmured.

In the low light of the morning, she stuck her tongue out at me.

I sighed and started to recollect on the events of the previous day. After evac was called, I sent Nova to take stock of the ethridium supplies in the city. Obviously, there was a stupid amount available, but it was worth it to take stock.

"Well, it really isn't a bad thing," I mused to myself, grinning: "Nova could create a fair amount of explosives with a sliver of the ethridium available for use."

My grin faded when I remembered seeing the first few waves leaving the city last night. There was great sadness emanating from the groups: mothers holding or guiding confused children, husbands and older sons helping their elders walk through the crowds, friends and families trying to stay together in a maelstrom of confusion.

I sighed, "Was this a good idea?"

"You already started the ball rolling," Luna reminded me, "These people are counting on you, Helix."

"I thought you were still asleep," I grumbled as she chuckled.

"I have catnaps," She murmured, yawning widely.

"Pun intended?" I asked in mock-innocence, "Get it? Cause you're a cat?"

She slugged my shoulder, "Very funny."

"Heh," I mused. My mind drifted back to thinking about today's events.

"We may have to talk to Richard," One of my voices began. " I'm not sure if he needs us to do anything today. Eh, most of this morning's events will be about making sure everyone evacuates the city, so I'll have to ensure my team has something to keep them busy...a bored group of misfits is a dangerous one."

"Too true..." another voice breathed, "Too true..."

An hour later, Luna finally let me get up.

"What?" She began innocently, "I was comfy."

I rolled my eyes, "Get dressed goober."

She rose an eyebrow, "Why?"

"I don't want to get slapped for accidentally staring, so please get dressed," I repeated.

She rose an eyebrow, but she thankfully got dressed.

We met the rest of our team at a local tavern, aptly named "The Loony Miner." A fair amount of soldiers were also in the tavern, and even the barkeep had an ethridial rifle on the counter of the bar. He gave me a slight nod when he saw me.

Dorrian waved a piece of mutton at us when we saw him and the others seated at a table: "Mornin' Helix, Mornin' Luna," He began, mouth full of mutton.

Ana slugged him, "Please swallow before you speak."

He rose an eyebrow, "How many times have you said that? Or rather, gone through with it?"

Ana looked like she was about to slap him, but she then laughed evilly, "Alright, fair enough: Don't choke then."