Chapter Fifty-Two: The Eye of the Storm

~~~ Sage Tooley ~~~

 Wearing heels was really not Sage's strong suit. 

 The brunette took slow, deliberate steps out to the limousine so as to not trip over herself, the long dress she was wearing, or the slick pavement. Kali, on the other hand was a professional -- even though they weren't at the event yet, she carried herself with an air of elegance that matched the light bounce in her footsteps.

 As soon as they had entered the vehicle, Sage collapsed back into the cushions with a short sigh. She waited until the doors of the limo and privacy screen separating them from the driver had closed before she spoke.

 "I don't know how I'm going to do this all night," she grumbled as they pulled away from the curb. "These stupid shoes will do me in before any official does."

 Kali let out a breath of amusement. "Heels can be pretty painful, but it honestly hurts more to take them off than to stand in them. You'll go numb after awhile."

 Wonderful.

 Brushing the thought of her inevitable blisters aside, Sage reached up to her ear and lightly tapped the transparent earpiece that was located there. 

 "Frost, can you hear me?"

 "Loud and clear," came the reassuringly familiar voice through the tiny mechanism.

 "Good." The girl made sure the driver couldn't listen in on their conversation before speaking again. "We're in the limo and heading towards the Capitol Building. Just to go over it all, our target is Joseph Bauer. He's the head of one of the many intelligence committees operating under the president. The plan is to grab his key card then leave. As soon as we get back to the hotel, we'll go to the gate."

 "Understood. Keep me updated."

 Sage subconsciously nodded to herself before shutting the earpiece off again. She glanced over at Kali. 

 "Did you get all that?"

 "Yeah. Snag the key card and get the heck out."

 "Exactly." 

 Silence befell the pair as buildings zipped by. With every turn of the limousine's wheels, Sage felt her stomach do the same. This was the closest she had ever been to the heart of the enemy, and she was going in willingly. But in addition to that, there was something else on her mind.

 She was going to be in the same room as President Chloris. 

 The Iris wasn't scared to admit she was anxious and unnerved. Never had she dreamed she would be so close to the one responsible for the death of her family and friends, not to mention the hardships she, Frost, and Mana had to endure time and time again over the past few months. It was a scenario she had a difficult time wrapping her head around.

 Then, a thought materialized. Sage once again looked at the person beside her who was staring out the window at the frozen boulevards. Here was a girl maybe a year older than she was, risking it all for people who were practically strangers. The brunette furrowed her eyebrows.

 She has it made already, so why is she helping us?

 "Kali." The student turned her gaze to Sage. "What made you go out of your way for us? This isn't really the best time to be associated with criminals."

 Kali must have been expecting her question, because all she did was give a small smile. 

 "There needs to be change in Inridia, even I know that. I think that if you, Frost, and Mana can be that change, then I should help. It makes me feel like I'm doing my part."