Chapter 3

Jonathan, Evelyn, and Lucinda made their way to the port with their belongings to be taken to Hamunaptra with their acquaintance, Mr. O'Connell.

"Do you really think he's going show up?" Evy asked her siblings as they walked.

"Yes, undoubtedly, knowing my luck. He may be a cowboy, but I know the breed. His word is his word." Jonathan said back to Evy and to Lucy.

"Well personally, I think he's filthy, rude, a complete scoundrel. I don't like him one bit." Evy said while her brother and sister just rolled their eyes.

"Anyone I know?" O'Connell said as he walked up from behind him as they all turned around. He had completely cleaned up after himself with a new haircut and shave.

"Hello," Evy said as they dropped their bags, staring at him in shock.

"Smashing day to start an adventure, hey O'Connell," Jonathan said to him.

"Yeah, yeah, smashing," he replied as he checked his pockets.

"Oh no, I don't steal from my partner, partner," Jonathan said to him which made Lucy give out a small laugh in disbelief.

"Oh, that reminds me, no hard feelings about the-" O'Connell said to Jonathan as he gave mimicked the punch that he gave him earlier on.

"Oh, no, no happens all the time," he replied as he turned to face Lucy as she nodded knowing that he was talking about her.

"Mr. O'Connell, can you look me in the eye and guarantee that this isn't some kind of flimflam because if it is I am warning you-" Evy said before she was cut off.

"You're warning me!" O'Connell said with wide eyes.

"Look lady, let me put it this way. My whole damn garrison believed in this so much that without orders, they marched halfway across Libya and into Egypt to find that city and when we got there, all we found was sand, and blood. Let me get your bags," O'Connell continued, leaving Evy speechless.

"Yes, yes you're right. Filthy, rude, a complete scoundrel, nothing to like there at all." Jonathan said, smirking at Evy while they watched him dock the boat.

"A bright good morning to you all," a voice said behind them. They turned to see the warden pig.

"Oh no, what are you doing here!" Lucy said in disgust.

"I'm here to protect my investment, thank you very much!" He said as they boarded the boat as Lucy gave a sigh about how this was going to be a long journey.

~~~~~~~~~  Later that night ~~~~~~~~~

Lucy sat at a table outside, Evy was in their room, and Jonathan was with the Americans, betting his money like he usually would. As Lucy read a book, she was interrupted by a bang on the table that startled her.

"Sorry. Didn't mean to scare you," O'Connell said, that didn't sound that apologetic.

"The only thing that scares me are your manners, Mr. O'Connell," she says back to him as she puts down her book.

"Still angry at that kiss huh," he said in a whisper almost. So, being Lucy, she gave him a smart answer back to him.

"If you call that a kiss," she says giving him a grin as he opened his bag that was full of weapons.

"Did I miss something? Are we going into battle?" She asked as she examined his bag.

"Lady, there's something out there, something underneath that sand," he said while grabbing out his gun to clean it.

"Well, Evy's hoping to find a book and Jonathan thinks there's treasure. What do you think there is?" She said continuing to look at his weapons.

"In a word. Evil. The Bedouin and the Tuaregs believe that Hamunaptra is cursed," he replies as she just gave him a glare.

"I don't believe in fairytales and hokey, Mr. O'Connell, but my sister, Evy, does believe that one of the most famous books in history is buried out there, the book of Amun-Ra. It contains with it all the secret incantations of the old kingdom," she explains while pulling out her gun and grabbing a cloth from his bag to clean it.

"And the fact that they say it's made out of pure gold make no never mind to her?" He said with a grin.

"You know your history!" Lucy said with a smile.

"I know my treasure," he says lifting his eyebrow. Lucy puts the cloth back in O'Connell's bag and putting her gun away.

"Why did you kiss me?" Lucinda asked O'Connell.

"I don't know, I was about to be hanged. It seemed like a good idea at the time," He said, giving her a small laugh. Anger crossed Lucinda's face. As she got up, she slammed her book on the table and got up to leave with a grunt.

"What? What did I say?" He asked so 'innocently'. Lucy made her way to a camel who drew her attention as she walked by. The camel nuzzled her hand and Lucy felt a pair of eyes on her. As she turned around she saw O'Connell and some weasel looking at her. She gave them a smile and walked off into her room.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As Lucy walked into her room, she finds Evelyn brushing her hair. Lucy goes to her bed and pulls her gun out as she hears her sister gasp. As she walks towards Evy, she sees a man with a hook up against her sister's neck. Lucy sneaks up on him but before she could do anything, the door is kicked open.

"Lucinda! Evelyn!" O'Connell yells out with a gun in each hand. A man opens the window but O'Connell shoots him and Evy hits the man with a lit candlestick right in his eye. Before they knew it the room started to light up in flames as the three all run out of the room. Suddenly, Evy stops herself with her arms against the wall.

"The map! The map! I forgot the map!" Evy screams out. As she turns around, Rick (O'Connell) stops her.

"Relax, I'm the map! It's all up here," he said as he pointed to his forehead.

"Oh, well that's comforting!" Lucy says sarcastically as they all run out on the deck.

When Rick and Lucy were reloading their guns, a man was shooting and his aim was getting closer and closer to Rick's head. Without hesitation, Lucy pulled him out of the way as the next shot was right where his head was. He gave her wide eyes as she let go and then they made their way to the railing.

"Can you swim?" He asked Evelyn as he grabbed his weapon bag back from her while Lucy was shooting at anyone who pointed a gun towards them.

"Of course I can swim if the occasion calls for it!" Evy yells back to him as he picks her up.

"Trust me. It calls for it." He says while throwing her over. He turns to Lucy as she stops shooting. Before she could do anything he picks her up and throws her overboard. He then dives into the water before the flames take over the entire boat.

"We've lost everything! All of the tools, all the equipment... all our clothes!" She says as they all reached the shore. The Carnahan siblings gather into a hug in order to keep warm.

"Hey, O'Connell! It looks to me like I've got all the horses!" The weasel, Lucy saw earlier that night, yelled.

"Hey, Benni! Looks to me like your on the wrong of the river!" Rick said as Lucy laughed. The group of five grabbed their remaining supplies as they head off to a nearby village.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks for reading!

Please Vote and Comment! xx