Chapter 39

"Jellybean, you're the best," Jughead highfived his sister.

Jellybean's jaw dropped open. "Does that mean..." She squealed loudly and jumped up and down in excitement.

"Yep, thanks to your help, I'm dating Veronica Lodge," he smiled.

"I can't take all the credits, you're the one who came up with the idea, Mr Romantic."

Jughead shook his head. He couldn't believe he was finally dating the one and only Veronica Lodge. Two years ago, Jughead would never had thought this raven-haired princess who somehow joined their friend group would be his girlfriend. They had gone a long way from strangers to acquaintances to frenemies to friends to lovers. It felt surreal that he was with the person he had originally disliked due to her father. Thank God the Civil War was over, or they could never have a chance of a happy ending, like Romeo and Juliet.

Now that he finally got her, he breathed a sigh of relief. Chasing Veronica Lodge was not easy at all. It had taken an argument, a public announcement, a night in the cave, two high maintenance dates and a performance. Personally, Jughead thought the performance was the hardest part, as he normally refused to sing or dance.

A certain Betty Cooper suddenly crossed his mind. She had no hold on him anymore and he held back a laugh, imagining Betty finding out that he was dating Veronica. Her reaction would be priceless.

————————————————————————

"MOVE OVER PEOPLE, JERONICA COMING THROUGH!" Cheryl yelled into a megaphone as she walked behind Jughead and Veronica, who was wearing Jughead's tshirt for the bet, at school in the hallways.

Veronica winced and covered her ears. "Turn it down Cheryl! I'm going deaf!" The megaphone had screeched right into her ears.

"Where the hell did you even get that? Your voice is loud enough," Jughead scowled as he tried to snatch Cheryl's weapon away from her.

"Hands off! Only HBICs are allowed to touch it," she pulled it from Jughead's grasp.

Due to Cheryl's deafening announcement, the students had parted to make way for the Serpent King and his Queen. Some looked at them, swooning at how cute they were, while others raised their eyebrows at this seemingly strange combination.

"Seriously, Lodge? You turn me down for Donnie Darko?" Reggie Mantle scoffed in disbelief, looking at Jughead with scorn.

"Yeah, unfortunately for you, I prefer someone who can actually spell," Veronica smirked as she pushed Reggie away, bringing up how Jughead had insulted him two years ago in the students' lounge.

"BURN, REGINALD!" Toni yelled into the megaphone so loudly at Reggie that he had to cover his poor ears.

————————————————————————

"Is this a joke?"

"Nope! They're dating!" Toni ecstastically squealed into Sweet Pea's face.

"The former Northside Princess becomes the Serpent Queen. Interesting," Sweet Pea said. "Jughead, you have horrible taste in girls."

"Sweet Pea," Jughead dipped his fry in ketchup. "You can't even get a girl."

He scowled at Jughead's comeback but left at it.

————————————————————————

Jughead and Veronica stood nervously outside FP's room. It was easier breaking the news to their friends, but to his dad, it was another story. Jughead wanted to tell his dad first hand that they were dating. He respected him too much to let him hear through the grapevine instead of informing him personally.

He squeezed Veronica's hand as encouragement when they walked into the room.

"Son...Veronica, ah what a surprise," FP acknowledged the two of them. He was reading documents on his bed.

"Dad, we wanted to tell you that we're dating," Jughead held his breath, waiting for his reaction.

FP slowly dropped the documents onto his bed. He observed the two's intertwined hands, then got up towards them. He stopped right in front of them when he broke into a smile.

"Can't say I didn't see it coming," FP grinned. "Welcome to the family, Veronica." He gave her a warm hug.

Jughead and Veronica's tense faces also broke into smiles. "Thank you, FP."

As they turned to leave, FP called after them. "Maybe I can finally go after Alice now! Oh! And Your door needs to be kept open at all times!"

"DAD," Jughead gritted his teeth in embarrassment.

————————————————————————

"You should wear my clothes more often," Jughead rested his head on the dining table lazily, admiring his girl in his clothes.

"One week of these aren't as bad as I thought," Veronica admitted. "These are comfy."

Jason faked a sneeze loudly once he sat down at the table.

"Excuse me," Jason said upon seeing Jughead's glare. "Sorry, I'm allergic to birds."

"Jason, there aren't any birds here," Nana Rose looked around in search of the alleged birds in the dining room.

"Love birds," Jason pointed to Jughead and Veronica, while Cheryl, Toni and Jellybean cackled at his joke. Even FP chuckled.

"All jokes aside, I also have something to announce. The twilight drive-in's grand opening is next Sunday. It'd be great if you kids could join," FP declared.

Jughead pumped his fist in the air. "Finally!"

"Oh, can they play Love, Simon?" Toni chirped. "I want to watch it again!"

"You watch it like everyday," Veronica exposed her.

"She does," Cheryl confirmed, making Toni pout.

"Kids, sorry to disappoint, but the movie has already been chosen. You'll see what it is when you get there," FP informed.

————————————————————————

"Babe, stop hogging the blanket," Jughead attempted yanking some blanket on his side, but failed as Veronica held tight to it.

"I hate you," he groaned as he climbed out of the bed to get his own blanket, since Veronica would not share.

"Can I have my phone back?" she mumbled from underneath the blankets.

"Can I have some blanket?" Jughead shot back.

"No," she said.

"No," he repeated.

Veronica rolled her eyes. "Phone stealer."

"Blanket hogger."

"Do you realise how childish you two sound?" Cheryl snapped from the other side of the room. "Shut up, we're trying to sleep!

The four of them were having a double date sleepover in Jughead and Veronica's room. Cheryl had finally fallen asleep when she was woken up by Jeronica's bickering.

"Goodnight to you too, Cheryl," Veronica muttered as she fell asleep in Jughead's arms.