Chapter 36: ENDING

I laid in bed next to Tyson, our wrinkly hands holding tightly to each other. Our children were grown and had moved out of the house and started a family of their own. Flynn was a lacrosse player with a beautiful wife and three children. Cameron was a marine biologist living with her wonderful girlfriend. Everything ended well for everyone. Alexis and Gabe got married when she was 28 and they have a lovely daughter, Elizabeth, who was grown with a husband of her own.

                I knew that this was it. I knew it was my last few moments of life. But that was okay, because I had lived the best life I ever could have lived.

“I’m dying.” I told Tyson.

“I am dying because you are, Max, I can’t imagine my life without you, and I don’t want to. Therefor if you are to die, I shall die with you, my love, I shall die with you.” He replied.

                He put on the song we played at our first dance as husband and wife. I Don’t Dance began to play and a tear ran down my wrinkly cheek. “This is it,” I thought, “this is the end.” I cuddled closer to him, my frail bones struggled to get there, but I did it. He wrapped his arms around me and I rested my head against his chest.

“I love you, Tyson.” I whispered with a voice crack.

“I love you too, Max, I love you too.” He whispered back.

                I closed my eyes and heard Tyson’s last exhale. His chest stopped moving, he was dead. A tear ran down my cheek as I took my last breath. Less than a minute after my love died so had I.