TWENTY-FIVE

CHRISTMAS AT THE BURROW

It was late November when Hermione and Draco finally found an place worth staying in. They stood in the living room, Tobias safely strapped into a stroller. They'd learned from previous experience that it was not wise to allow the toddler to roam freely. They had been denied the last two places because Tobias had been throwing a fit in one, and had accidentally broken a window pane in another.

Lavender descended the stairs. "D'you want to go have a look around? I'll watch Tobias."

Hermione shook her head and smiled. "I think the little guy wants to have a look." She leaned over to see him. "What do you say, bud? You wanna look around?"

Tobias nodded excitedly and Lavender picked him up from the stroller. "I won't let him out of my sight," she promised. Then she went up the stairs calling for Ginny.

Draco slipped his hands into the pockets of the jeans Hermione had threatened to wrestle him into. "So, this is where you grew up."

Hermione shrugged. "It looked a lot better when my mum fussed about keeping it clean and all."

"Wouldn't they want to stay here again?"

Hermione shook her head as she folded her arms. "I've decided to leave them be as they are. They seem happy and content, it would be cruel to rip that away and explain how their beloved daughter stole their memories."

Draco nodded. They heard a loud, gurgling laughter from above. "I think Tobias likes it here."

Hermione smiled. "This house is perfect. I've got my room, the spare bedroom would be yours, it's just across the hallway, and we'll remodel my parent's bedroom into a nursery for Tobias."

"Yeah, perfect."

■■■■■

A week later, Hermione stood with Lavender outside a house in Godric's Hollow.

"I think she likes that he's chosen to stay here," Hermione said.

Lavender nodded, having witnessed how Ginny shrieked and ran in. "I agree. I'm surprised, if I'm honest. I wouldn't expect Harry to choose to live here."

Hermione nodded as well as they walked up the three steps to the front door. "I know, with the death of his parents here and being attacked by that snake . . . but I'm proud of him, facing up to his fears like that. I'm glad Professor McGonagall let Ginny out this weekend to sit through this with Harry."

Lavender smiled as they heard a loud squeal from upstairs. "HARRY! THERE ARE BABY PHOTOS OF YOU IN HERE!"

"LET ME SEE!"

"It's like they're children," Lavender said.

Hermione shrugged as she picked up a photo from the floor and brushed the broken glass off. "They might as well be."

"What's that?"

"James and Lily. It's a wedding photo," she added, passing it to Lavender.

"Oh, wow. She's beautiful, although she does remind me of Ginny. Harry really does have his mum's eyes." Lavender turned the photo over. "The newlywed Potters, August 16th, 1978."

Hermione raised an eyebrow. "They married at eighteen?"

"Don't be so surprised, Hermione. I half expected Ginny and Harry to be married by now."

"Don't be silly, Lavender. They're only waiting until Ginny graduates."

Lavender smiled, although it was slightly sad.