Chapter 8

Coming into work the following Monday Khushi had made up her mind to confront him she wanted to know what his problem was, she wasn’t going to be man handled or intimidated by him anymore. Dumping her bag on her desk she sat down and started to go through the 101 things he had asked her to do ‘Ugggh’ she growled as she looked at the list. Khushi kept looking up at the clock it was coming up to eleven thirty and Arnav was nowhere to be seen ‘where is he?’ she thought to herself, she could feel the anger that she came in with to confront him subsiding, she wanted to make sure when she did speak to him it was with full force. The clock continued to tick
and before long it was four o’clock.

Khushi had given up she took a deep sigh and went to get a glass of water as she returned to her desk she crashed into this lean figure that she was all too familiar with, her hand tilted forward and every last drop of water was now soaked into his jacked. ‘What the f….’ Arnav screamed and Khushi squeezed her eyes shut and tightened her body waiting for him to shout some more.

Arnav looked at Khushi and couldn’t help breaking a smile; she looked like a little child waiting to be told off her face all scrunched up and her little frame all closed in. After a few seconds Khushi opened her eyes to see no one there, she frowned started to look around ‘where did he go?’ she thought to herself, all she saw were a few work colleagues laughing at her in their little groups. ‘What an idiot, out of all people you have to bump into him. The monster must be going crazy, shall I go and apologise, yes?…no?…ohhhh idiot’ Khushi was biting her lip nervously looking up at Arnav’s office debating on whether to go up or not. She rolled her eyes and took a deep breath as she plucked up the courage to go to his office.

Khushi knocked on Arnav's door and opened the door, he had taken his jacket off and was wiping down his shirt ‘c..can I come in’ she asked as she tried to breathe. Arnav glanced up at Khushi and then starting wiping his shirt again ‘you already are in Khushi, what do you want?’ he said. Khushi stepped forward and started to play with her beaded necklace she breathed nervously she knew that he was going to come down on her like a ton of bricks, all that anger she had this morning had evaporated and she was now standing in front of this monster totally disarmed. ‘Well, what is it?’ he snapped looking up at her ‘um.. I just came to say that…that I’m sorry’ she said pointing towards his shirt ‘I really didn’t see you and…and it was an accident, I’m really sorry’ Khushi quickly looked down as she was too nervous to meet his gaze.

Arnav looked at Khushi enjoying her nervousness a little too much he tried to keep a straight face trying hard not to smile. ‘Well there is not a lot we can do about your inability to walk properly, watch where you are going or even being accident prone, is there?’ Khushi looked up at him her eyes started to narrow with a frown appearing as she opened her mouth ready to answer him back Arnav raised his hands to stop her, gesturing towards the door he said ‘you can leave, I don’t want any more damage done’ Khushi let out a small growl still frowning at him she turned and stormed out his office leaving a big smile on his face.

So much for being sorry, rude arrogant monster’ Khushi huffed ‘and there I was feeling sorry that I ruined his clothes. It was now 6.30 Khushi began to pack her things away getting ready to go home the last couple of hours felt like a whole day. As Khushi logged off her computer and switched her lamp off Aman came down to her. ‘Hey Aman, not going home yet?’ Aman smiled at her ‘no, still have a few bits to finish up, um Khushi Arnav has asked you to put together a presentation based on your designs for the delegation tomorrow afternoon’ Khushi looked at Aman her eyes widened with disbelief ‘are you being serious a whole presentation by tomorrow afternoon? On top of all the other work I have to do? Aman are you forgetting that I am only human’

Khushi’s face started to go red with anger she felt like her insides were about to explode. ‘I’m sorry Khushi just passing on the message’ ‘right..’ Khushi grabbed the file from Aman’s hands and ran up the stairs to his office. Khushi walked in full force ‘if you knew you wanted me to do this presentation why are you giving it to me now?’ she was almost screaming Arnav who was looking through a file looked at Khushi and was taken aback, he put down his folder and clenched his fist ‘how dare you talk to me like that’ ‘h..how dare I? How dare you its 6.30 you know I was going home and you give me this that too to do it by tomorrow afternoon. I can’t do this and work on the other designs you want all at the same time, you know it’s not possible’ Khushi tried to control the volume of her voice as she could see him stiffening up and his eyes blackening but this time she was not going to hold back. ‘I don’t care how you do it but get it done, standing here arguing about it isn’t going to make it easier, if you need to stay back then stay back’ he said walking towards her as she felt the gap between them narrowing Khushi started to take steps back. 

‘it…it’s not fair, you’re doing this on purpose’ she said still moving backwards until she hit the wall Arnav continued to walk towards her and stopped as soon as she did. ‘On purpose? you forget Khushi you are an employee of Arnav Singh Raizada you work for AR Designs we do not…I mean I, Arnav Singh Raizada does not tolerate incompetence, does not compromise on quality and expects every employee to give 110%, so if you think that you can’t do the job you are being paid for then maybe we should rethink about your contract’ Khushi looked at him trying to hold the tears back she pushed herself off against him and took a step forward in his direction. ‘I am far from incompetent, you expect 110% I give you 120% Mr Arnav Singh Raizada, you want the presentation done you’ll have it’ Khushi brushed past Arnav and walked out leaving Arnav looking back at her.

Khushi slowly turned the key conscious not to disturb Payal as she walked in, but as switched on the light she saw Payal standing there ‘Payal’ Khushi exclaimed and ran up to her hugging her as hard as she could. ‘Khushi…Khushi what’s wrong?’ Payal asked trying to pull Khushi off of her; she realized that she was crying. After a few moments Khushi moved back and wiped her tears away letting out a nervous laugh ‘nothing just a long day at work, I’m just tired, that’s all’ ‘Khushi its nearly half eleven, what the hell is going on, and since when have you ever cried from being tired?’ Khushi sat down and explained what had happened. ‘I know why he is doing this it’s because he wants me to resign, he said I would by the end of the month, just so he can prove himself to be right. Well if he is Arnav Singh Raizada then I am Khushi Kumari Gupta, I am not going to let him win’ Khushi said to Payal who was becoming more and more concerned for Khushi.

Khushi never cried she was really strong... being sad, upset or angry wasn’t part of her or at least a part that surfaced or anyone witnessed. ‘Khushi….do you want me to have a word with Akaash, maybe he can tell Arnav to back off’ Payal asked ‘No! Please Payal I don’t want you two to get involved; I’ll sort this out myself. You know what gets me is his ever changing personality and mood swings, I can’t keep up with him, he must be the hardest person to figure’ ‘Ok stop thinking about him, get changed I’ll make you something to eat’ Payal said forcing Khushi off the sofa and into her room.