Prologue

PROLOGUE

A small figure creeps through the dark toward the door to the Avengers tower, preparing to leave. Then, suddenly the lights turn on. The figure groaned, whipping around to reveal a teenage boy. Now facing him was a man with brown hair, and a glowing arc reactor in his chest.

"Where do you think you're going?" Tony Stark asked.

"I have to do something." Nico said simply, "And I didn't have time for goodbyes. I left a note on my bed."

"Didn't have time, or couldn't bring yourself to face us?" Steve Rogers asked rhetorically, walking into the room with the rest of the Avengers. Nico's silence was the only answer Steve needed, "Then you need to explain to our faces."

"Steve already knows this, but Loki taught me minimal magic when he was still himself." Nico began, "And I cannot stand by while he suffers and is imprisoned in his own body. However, the only one knowledgeable about the subject enough to save Loki is Loki, but I was there with Loki every step of the way; I know the basics, and the theory of it, but I need to know how to do it on a larger scale."

"You're going to Kamar-Taj." Thor stated, slightly surprised.

"Yes." Nico nodded.

"What's in Kamar - Taj?" Natasha asked, sounding frustrated.

"Earth's Sorcerer Supreme." Nico explained, "She teaches those with innocent or good intentions who need to learn magic."

"Magic?" Tony asked, "What like wizards and witches? Harry Potter anyone?"

"Slightly different, but similar." Nico shrugged, then, upon seeing the shocked looks, "What? Did you really think people came up with that stuff on their own? Every myth has truth to it. Thor is a living example."

"So... does that mean the Greek gods are real too?" Tony rolled his eyes.

Nico panicked slightly, but did not show it as he responded, "I'm just going to go now..."

"Wait!" Tony shouted, "Are the Greek gods real?!"

"That's a conversation for another time." Nico said hurriedly, "I gotta go, goodbye."

"Wait." Bruce walked forward as Hulk grunted sadly, and they both gave him a hug. Nico hugged back, and soon found himself surrounded by Avengers. When they pulled away, he smiled at them, and with a final salute, disappeared into shadows.

---------

"I'm looking for the Ancient one." A boy said as a man opened the door.

"Who told you this?" The man asked, staring at the hooded boy, "How do you know that name and why do you want to see her?"

"I need her help." The boy took off his hood, "I'm here to save my best friend from an evil magical influence." Nico looked up at the man, a certain sadness and determination in his eyes, "And I only know of her, because my friend told me a long time ago that I would find her here, and that, should anything ever go wrong with a spell on earth, I was to go to her."

"What's your friend's name, and who are you?" The man asked suspiciously.

"My friend is Loki Odinson of Asgard, and I am Nico Di Angelo, the Asgardian son of Hades." There was a silence, and the man stared at Nico for a second, scrutinizing his truthfulness. The door was swung open fully.

"Come in."