Ch. 7

I walked towards the window and tried not to look at him because just like Harper, I’ve never seen Harry this angry before. As I was looking, I saw loads of young people, maybe teenagers, standing outside the hospital. They had signs that read, “Get well soon Harry Styles!” and another that said “Stay Strong, Harper Holloway!” I did not say anything to Harry, although deep inside I felt touched that these fans took the time to make these posters and stand outside the hospital to which they wouldn’t gain access inside to.

“Alex. Tell me what’s wrong with her. Please,” he begged.

I wiped my tears with the back of my hand before turning around to look at him.

“Harper,” I hesitated to speak, “Um, Harper has ‘STML’. She suffers from short term memory loss.”

I saw him wince and hesitated whether to continue. He finally nodded at me as a gesture to continue.

“The doctor said that she doesn’t remember what happened last night. And there’s a probability that she might not remember some of her friends,” I sadly said. 

“No! It’s my fucking fault! If it wasn’t for me, she wouldn’t be here right now,” he said doubting himself.

“That is why I am here. I came because I wanted some answers from you since you were the last person with her. What the heck happened last night,” I asked.

He hesitated before answering accurately.

“We, um, were on our way to a special place where I was going to take her. It was kind of quite while on the road so I wanted to make some conversation. I started by asking some random questions which then led to some flirting,” he said with a smile forming on his face. “You know her! You know that she can sometimes be a little flirtatious,” he said to me. “Soon after that, she, um, she…”  He said wandering off into outer space until I snapped him back.

“Earth to Harry! Earth to Harry! She what,” I asked curiously and snapping at the same time.

I realized that he was stroking his lips with his index finger and thumb. He then turned to look at me and smirked.

“She kissed me,” he said. I gasped at what Harry had said. I know my Harper very well, and I should have seen that coming.

“It was very passionate. Exhilarating. Explosive. The way our lips moved in sync-”

“Stop! I don’t want to know what happened coming out of your mouth! This is something that you need to talk about with your friends and something that I need to talk about with Harper,” I said, a little grossed out. We we’re quite for a few minutes.

“So, that is how it happened,” I asked.

“Erm, yeah,” he answered guiltily.

 I thought of something that would make him feel better and forget that it was his fault for the accident.

“Um, your parents and sister are on their way here. I called them to let them know what happened. The doctor also said that tomorrow they were going to let you go home,” I said.

“I don’t care about me right now. Although, it would give me a chance to go and talk to Harper,” he said. “Why can’t they let me out now? I want to go see her and talk to her already. Feel her hand and sing to her favorite songs-”

“Whoa whoa, hold your bullocks right there! How do you know which songs are her favorite,” I asked. I was curious to find the answer to this, unless she told him which ones.

“I have my resources,” he said smiling.

“Finally! Thank you God for planting that smile in your face,” I said joyfully, looking at the ceiling and putting my hands up. “I know it’s a sad moment right now but sometimes we need a little happiness and reassurance in our lives,” I said gleefully.

His smile then faded after what I had said and he turned around to look at the window. I felt somehow guilty for his certain action.

“Alex, Harper wants to see you,” said Casey happily. “She remembers me and Kathy! We sort of told her about the whole girl band thing and she said she might recall you but still wants to see you anyway.”

I was so excited to hear those words! That she remembers about the band and remembers me! I turned to look at Harry and a smile was beginning to form.

“Where is Kathy,” I asked Casey, since I didn’t see her with Casey.

“Oh, she went to the restroom. But hurry! Alex wants to talk to you,” said Casey happily.

So I excused myself from Harry’s room and went outside. Casey stayed with Harry, to make him company, I guess.

As I rushed through the waiting room to Harper’s room, I saw the news in the television that was hanging in the corner of the ceiling.

“This is breaking news. We are sad to report that 16-year-old Harper Holloway, from the famous girl band Fifth Element, and 19-year-old Harry Styles, from the international boy band One Direction, were involved in a car crash last night with a white trailer while on the road. We were informed that Harper is in critical condition,” said the news anchor. “Lily Mackenzie has more on this tragic story. Lily.”

“Thank you, Sharon. I am currently outside the hospital UCLA Medical Center surrounded by lots of dear fans of both Harry Styles and Harper Holloway. We were told that Harry suffered some minor injuries but Harper suffered a short term memory loss”, said Lily, the reporter.

“We do not know for sure if Harper remembers her friends and family but what we do know is that she and Harry “were going out on a date” last night, said sources of the couple. Here, you have images of the car accident. The doctors said that Harper had gone through the window shield and had landed in the hood of the car, as a result of her tumor, and Harry was covered by his air bag.

Here is Chloe and Zak, dear fans of both Harry and Harper, wanting to wish them both to get well soon.”

“Um, well we just want to say, on behalf of the Directioners and Elementors,” said Chloe in between tears. “That we wish you guys… well and want to see you guys… perform really soon. Don’t lose hope! Hang in there.”

“And to Harper, we want you to stay strong throughout your struggle. You always give us advice and now we’re giving back. Pleas-” said Zak.

Another fan of our band came from behind Zak and interrupted him.

She said, “Harry Styles, we hate you! You were the cause of Harper’s condition! If it wasn’t for you, she would be in good spirits and hanging out with her friends and family! Hope you rot in hell,” she said angrily and left. I was left there gob smacked at her sudden speech.    

“Wow! It seems there might be a commotion here! I’m Lily Mackenzie reporting live outside of the UCLA Medical Center. Back to you, Sharon,” said Lily.

The news then went to a commercial and I just stared shockingly at Jessie who was sitting in the waiting room, looking speechless back at me.