Ch. 6

BEFORE READING:

Please note, Directioners and non-Directioners, that the wicked, hot lads of One Direction, portrayed in this fan fiction are single; except for Louis Tomlinson and Zayn Malik. There girlfriends are the gorgeous Eleanor Calder and Perrie Edwards!!

[Alex’s P.O.V.]

“Family of Ms. Holloway,” said the M.D. as he interrupted my thoughts of Harper and wondering if she’d be fine. We all, the girls, stood up. It was only 7:43 in the morning.

“How is she, doctor? Is she okay? Will she be out soon,” asked Kathy as she bombarded the doctor with questions.

“Fortunately, Ms. Holloway is doing fine… for the moment,” he said.

“What do you mean she’s “doing fine for the moment,” I asked, concerned for Harper’s health. Just like the girls, I wouldn’t know what to do without her; if she, just, one day, was gone....

“Well, Ms. Holloway has suffered a ‘STML’, which stands for 'short term memory loss',” said the doctor. We all gasped. “The impact that she received in the head was indeed hard, but not too hard that would make her permanently lose her memory, but she does have some trouble remembering what happened last night. It can possible, we’re not sure though, that she might not remember a few people that were close to her. If she accepts to take therapy lessons and continues to, she should be alright in a few months. I strongly recommend that also.”

I remember just sitting back down in my seat, with a cup of coffee in my hands, in shock as to what the doctor had said. She had short term memory loss. What about if she doesn’t remember me? What about if she doesn’t remember the rest of the girls? What about if she forgets the band?

“Well, can we at least see her, Doc,” asked Kathy.

“Uh, yes, yes you may. But only one person at a time,” he hesitated. “We don’t want her to get alarmed.”

Kathy opted to go first, followed by Casey. I stayed behind trying to take everything in and thinking what to say to Harper in case she doesn’t remember me. Then all of a sudden, I remembered about Harry. I remembered that the doctor hadn’t said anything regarding Harry’s health because none of his family members had arrived yet. They were still in Holmes Chapel, Cheshire, England when I broke the tragic news to his mother and older sister, Gemma. They told me that they were going to find the first flight to Los Angeles as soon as possible. I also asked them to communicate with the rest of the boys from One Direction and let them know what happen. I didn’t have any contact information about them. We’ve never even met and if they come, this would be our first time meeting.

And the lads from One Direction hadn’t arrived yet because they were still on their vacation before heading out to Europe to launch the start of their ‘Take Me Home 2013 Summer Tour”.

I know that Harry didn’t mean to cause the car accident. All I know is that they had found his black Range Rover smashed in the front with cracked windows and a white trailer truck, that was carrying loads of products imported from Germany, off to the side of the road. Also, that they had found Harper, without a seatbelt, lying in the hood of the car, faced down, blood rushing from her face and Harry with a seatbelt on, his face covered by an air bag. I know his intention wasn’t to hurt her. Nevertheless, kill her. I noticed in the first 10 seconds when I met him, that he had a big heart full of wonders and desires and that he would make Harper happy.

I turned to look at Jessie and told her about how the doctor had not spoken about Harry. She suggested that I ask for his health. So I went to the front desk and asked the nurse if I could know how Harry’s health was. I was surprised that she asked if I was a relative of his so I had to lie saying I was his cousin. Fortunately, she bought my terrible lie and said that he had suffered minor injuries such as cuts and bruises in the arms, and a little in the face. He is doing fine and that he can go home tomorrow.

I returned to my seat with a cup of coffee and told Jessie. At least Harry’s family won’t have to worry about his health, just that he has some minor injuries and didn’t suffer ‘STML’. A few minutes later, I stood up, threw my coffee in the trash, and went again to the front desk to ask the nurse if I could see Harry. I needed some questions to be answered. She said it was okay and gave me the number to his room. As I began to walk away, Jessie caught up to me and asked where I was heading.

“I need him to answer some questions about what in the bloody hell happened last night,” I said, realizing I was beginning to sound angry at Harry even though I had agreed that it wasn’t his fault for the accident. And with that I walked away to find his room.

I finally came to his room and took a deep breath before entering. Then I opened the door slightly. I peeked to see him lying in his bed. I couldn’t tell if he was asleep because he was facing the window, away from the entrance. I walked in slowly, trying not to make noise. As I closed the door, I heard him shift in the bed and I turned around to face him to see he was now looking at me. So, I walked towards the foot of the bed.

He swallowed hard, blinked and asked, “How is she? Please tell me she made it.”

I tried to fight back my tears and told him, “Yes. She did make it. Although she, um…”

“She what, she what?! Tell me Alex! What did she have to suffer because of me,” he asked worried, yet eagerly, about Harper’s health.

“No, you’re wrong. It’s not your fault she’s in this critical condition, bu-” I said reassuringly.

“Of course it is! You even said it! She’s in a critical condition because of me! Don’t you understand,” he said angrily grabbing the hospital bed sheets.