Chapter 4

Dovepaw watched as Pinestar leapt onto the large tree in the middle if the clearing, his black pelt shining in the moonlight, ready to start the gathering. "Thunderclan is fairing well," he began. "Prey is bountiful. We also have two new warriors; Ashfall and Daisypetal; as well as four new apprentices, Dovepaw, Nettlepaw, Hawkpaw, and Hazelpaw."
Dovepaw blushed with embarrassment as she heard the clans calling out her new name; along with the other cats'. She turned to look at her mother, but to her dismay, the silver tabby stayed silent. Her father, Nightstripe, who was sitting next to her, caught her eye; then quickly looked away, dark pelt blending in with the shadows. Heatherwing, the deputy, gave Dovepaw an pitying look. Dovepaw's fur bristled with anger. How dare she pity me! Can't she see I'm fine? Smokestar, Windclan's leader, quickly stepped forward to continue the gathering, casting a quick nod towards Pinestar before speaking. "Prey also runs well in Windclan. Owlcloud has had her kits: Shiverkit, Icekit, and Darkkit. We scented fox near the border, but it has seemed to have moved away."

Strangely enough, Dovepaw couldn't help but wonder what Owlcloud's kits looked like; she almost wished there were some more in Thunderclan. Well, she reminded herself, Poppyblaze will have her kits with Willowflare soon. You can play with them then. She looked up as Lichenstar, leader of Shadowclan, stepped forward. She sighed, looking down at her paws. This is going to be a loooong night.
*
*
*
Dovepaw settled into her nest with a happy sigh. It had felt like the gathering had lasted forever. Now she could finally get some sleep.The nest next to her shifted as Hazelpaw climbed into it, entwining her tail with Dovepaw's friendily. Dovepaw purred, burrowing deeper into her nest, letting herself fall into sleep.

A few hours later Dovepaw woke to the warmth of Hazelpaw leaving her side. She looked up to see her friend exiting. "Hazelpaw?" She whispered groggily. Her friend jumped in surprise, turning around. "Shhhh," She meowed. "Go back to sleep." "No!" Dovepaw exclaimed, stumbling out of her nest. "Let me come!" Hazelpaw rolled her eyes. "Fine," She said with a flick of her tail. "Follow me."

Still half asleep, Dovepaw followed her friend out into the forest, confusion flooding her senses. "Where are we going?" She whispered, stepping over a log. Hazelpaw stayed silent a few moments before speaking. "Nettlepaw left again," She meowed. "I want to know where she's going." Dovepaw immediately felt more awake. Finally! She's come to her senses! She struggled to keep up with her friend as she swerved around trees and plants. "Wait up!" Hazelpaw stopped, but not for her.

"Nettlepaw!" She called out bravely. Her sister whipped around, green eyes wide. "Wh-what are you doing here?!" She yelped. "I could ask you the same thing," Hazelpaw meowed. Nettlepaw fidgeted, avoiding her sisters gaze. "M-making dirt," Hazelpaw's eyes narrowed. She was clearly lying. "What we're you really doing?" Nettlepaw hissed, suddenly growing defensive. "It's none of your busine-" But something interrupted her.

A yowl from camp.