Backfire

Backfire

I knew better than to question my dad about my mother. I still wasn't completely sure of my faith in Thanatos, whom had done nothing but lie up until he revealed himself. Frankly I was uncertain. But I couldn't deny that I was now curious. Something about the overly sarcastic God of death made me want to trust him. Though I suppose death is constant, there's nothing to lie about when it came to that.

Two days had passed and I sat in a small cafe near downtown, sipping away at the warm hot chocolate in my hands as Verona blabbered about her time at home while I was "sick". She didn't remember the oddly attractive personification of death that kidnapped me on the beach while she flirted away with Chase, who also did not remember.

"She had the nerve to tell me I wasn't allowed out, Lana. Can you fucking believe that? That old groupie had the nerve to tell me what to do! She's never cared for me a day in her fucking life and now she's going to boss me around? Bullshit!" Verona expressed in annoyance as she swirled her pointer finger in her coffee to stir around the sugar before beginning to drink it.

"You really didn't have to go, Ve. I know how aunt Cassie is." I responded, shaking my head as I attempted to distract myself from the loud thoughts in my head.

"It wasn't that bad... I left anyway. I hung out with Chase and ended up falling asleep on his couch. I was more worried about you, Lana. I didn't want to bother you, David was really worried." She shrugged off her mother's behavior in a mutter, her eyes glancing out the window of the shopas she sulked in the memory.

"I know, dad worries too much. I was fine... really. But I've been wanting to ask you something all day."

"What is it?"

I drank some more of my hot chocolate, my lips pursed a bit, "Has Cassie ever talked about my mother's death?"

I watched her face pale as she stammered for words, "Neoma's death? Why are you asking me?"

"What do you mean 'why are you asking me?' Do you know anything? I know nothing of my mom aside from the fact that my dad and her were terribly in love and that she just poof... was gone." I respond, my brows furrowing. She frowned a little and continued to drink her coffee.

"I only know a little... but it's a secret to everyone... I don't even think mom knows that much." She responded quietly, sighing.

"Well... spill. Tell me what you know. I deserve to know Verona she's my mother. My dad won't even look at me when I ask so I just stopped!"

She stuttered more, a look of sadness washing over her face as she scratched at her arm. I watched her closely, waiting for her to answer me just as the overhead bell rang, signally someone had walked in. Immediately a set of familiar dark eyes landed on mine as Death himself smirked and walked over to our table.

Verona was first to speak up, egear to change the subject to the sexy stranger she had met but didn't remember; "Lulana I call him. He's yummy."

"Oh for God's sake. Take him."

"Ladies, Lulana. I see you must be pestering this beautiful girl with questions she shouldn't answer."

Verona was barely paying attention as she stared at him like he was all powerful but she took this time to respond dreamily anyway; "Oh no... Lana is okay. She isn't pestering at all. I'm Verona."

"Verona be quiet." I sigh, rubbing my temples through my long dark hair, attempting to fight off a headache. Thanatos smirked down at her before glancing to me.

"In time all your questions will be answered."

"Quit with this all-knowing act! Than-- er... Arius. I deserve to know! It's my life." I stumble, catching the attention of a few people in the cafe. His gaze hardened on me as I began to make a scene and I glared back.