Red-hot Fire

Red-hot Fire

By the time I had gotten in the car begin to drive back to my house my stomach was knotted.

Who's Arius?

Why why was he lying and why did he go to Chase's party? Everyone that was there Chase had known or known of. By the way Chase had said the name had made it seem as if he had never even heard of him. Why did he seem so know me? I definitely had never seen him before.

Verona had fallen asleep in the passenger seat as soon as she sat down. This didn't surprise me, it was probably for the best. She needed to sober up before we got home and her sleeping it off would help my case.

I pulled into the driveway to find my dad's car was still gone.

"Thank god." I mutter in relief. I wasn't ready to explain to him why Verona was shit-faced on the couch, snoring and reeking with the smell of vodka. I got out and walked over to her side, opening the black door and smacks her cheek lightly which made her whine in pure annoyance.

"I'm not carrying you, wake up."

I tried not to smile too much as the annoyed looking girl made her way out the car in a stumble, her green eyes still heavy with sleep as she flicked her dark red hair from her face and cleared her throat.

"My head is killing me... who in god's name let me drink that much?" She murmured, her voice raspy and low as she fixed her black fitted shirt.

"Sorry, but I was too busy talking to Arius, whom Chase doesn't seem to know. Even though he said he was a friend of Chase's. And I think he knows me!" I sighed, walking to the front door after locking the car, walking inside and kicking off my shoes. With a flick of the light switch, warm light flooded my home, everything looked as I had left it. The tv was off the curtains were drawn over the large glass sliding doors beyond the kitchen that led to the backyard. Home sweet home.

"What movie are we watching tonight, dear friend?" Verona asked in a fake posh accent, grinning widely, her headache seemingly gone.

"What mood might you been in, good sir? Are we thinking; a horror? Maybe the timeless film of Nightmare on Elm street? What about a classic, such as Breakfast at Tiffany's?" I responded, my accent thick as I closed the door behind us, laughing softly and locking the door.

"Ah! What excellent choices! I was thinking more along the lines of the most elegant telling of 'Heathers'?"

"Quite the perfect choice!" I agreed, tying my hair back into a ponytail with the black scrunchy on my wrist; "Excuse me while I change into something a bit more comfortable. Bring up some refreshments and we can start the film in my chamber."

She began to laugh as she made her way into the kitchen and pulled out a bag of microwavable kettle corn and two mugs for hot chocolate. My smile was bright as I ran over to the hardwood stairs and made my way upstairs to my room

________

It look less than twenty-four hours for Hades to not only alert Zeus of the news but also to formulate a plan, have Hermes locate Esmeralda's only known magic having ancestor and give me a mission. From the information I had gathered within an hour of having my assignment I had learned a lot about the little mortal who would soon replace Esmeralda... or should I say half blood.

Lulana Contos was a half-goddess in the eyes of us Gods. Her mother was an Asteriai, a star nymph, also known as a lower level goddess whom was killed by Ares. This did not surprise me, the god was bipolar to say the least. Supposedly the god and goddess had been having an affair of sorts over the years until she slept with a mortal and got pregnant.

Oh how interesting.

Of course, Ares, whom embodied hypocritical behavior and short temper looked to Hecate. She cursed the goddess to die during birth and Ares was punished by his father. It's just like that prick to get jealous of a mortal man. He doesn't even like magic.

What a coward, looking to the goddess of magic to finish your bids.

In other words, Lulana most likely had power already, everything was beginning to make sense.

The little minx had stolen Esmeralda's magic for her own, of course! Now where the fuck is it?

Esmeralda must have been related to her from her father's side. It's just like mortals to let their emotions control them.

A predatory growl sounded from beside me and I looked over to see Morte sitting a foot away from me. Her bright red eyes staring up at me. Morte was a Shadow-shifter. Most of her features blended into her black, thick shadow-like figure. She took on the form of a huge wolf. Her coat, pitch black and her eyes were a ruby red. Aside from her eyes the next thing that caught the eyes were the long, razor sharp teeth that stuck out from her snout like thick, white needles.

"What is it Morte?" I asked dully, my eyes studying the documents in front of me once again. She growled and snapped at the papers once again before rising from her sitting position and pacing in front of the large set of dark double doors. A dark smile crept its way to my lips as realization hit me.

She had found the suicidal mage's magic.

Hopefully now with her magic found Hades would kick the thieving half-blood to the curb and do something useful with it. On that note I had risen and readied myself for the hunt ahead.

I could basically taste the magic that radiated off the curvy nymph's body. Something about it was new. It felt hot, it scorched the air around her in electric zaps of energy and intrigued me more than I thought it would. She was powerful without the weak-minded mage's magic and I could tell she knew her power, even if it hadn't shown itself to her yet. The girl would let her power consume her, if she didn't learn of it soon, before it has a chance to present itself.

Her long chocolate brown hair fell down her back in waves that nearly reached her hips and her eyes were an icy blue with thick long lashes that made her seem innocent. She looked like an overgrown fairy. Her hips were full and her waist was small, along with her height. There was no way she was over 5'4.

I watched her like a hawk as the annoyingly loud music blasted overhead... then she caught my stare. Her eyes searched mine before igniting with a fire full of competition. I smirked. She had noticed and hardened her stare in a challenging way before her redheaded friend stole her attention away from mine. I hissed in annoyance.

Her friend was attractive as well but she wasn't impressive. Though it seemed like most of the males here disagreed, they all stared at her in lust but I saw through her little image. She was as innocent and pure as it came and so was the little nymph.

Oh the things I could do to ruin her...

It took an hour to catch her alone after that and I could tell by the way she trembled when close to me I had her in my grasp, now all I had to do was keep her there. So I kept our interaction short.

When Lulana had finally dragged her now drunk friend to the car I was watching idly from the sidelines, I followed her back to the smaller house in which she stayed after taking care of her loud-mouthed boy friend whom nearly blew it for me. I watched them walk inside before taking in my surroundings. Something told me we would be meeting here again very soon and I wanted to be prepared. 

________

Is anyone else excited to learn more about Thanatos and see how Lulana will react around him in the future?

It seems he is hot on trail of the missing magic and we got to learn a bit about Lulana's mother's death... but is there more to the story? ;)

I hope you guys enjoyed!!