04

A teary eyed Kenadie drove down the highway back to her condo in the city. Roberta had told her it wouldn't be much of an issue to reschedule her interview to tomorrow, but the truth was Kenadie couldn't wait to leave her parent's house.

The tension in that home was too much for her and she knew she wouldn't be able to handle it for an entire day. Instead she decided to come to terms with the fact that her father didn't approve of the marriage and wouldn't be walking her down the aisle.

At the beginning of her journey, she'd turned on the radio hoping some music would help her thoughts drift away from the pain. But the DJ on her favourite radio station also seemed to be in a sour mood judging by the sombre songs that were being played. So she turned off the radio altogether.

Listening to sad music while you're sad is no different from watering a garden during a thunderstorm.

She wondered what sort of questions she'd be asked, how personal they would get. She knew certain details about her wouldn't be revealed, like her home address. But at least one person might recognize her from her writing blogs and appearances at writing seminars. Not to mention, she was a bestselling author.

Just then it dawned on her that some might even think that she took part in the experiment simply as a way to promote her work. But how hard would it be for people to believe that a person who usually spends up to twelve hours glued to her computer screen wouldn't be able to find love on her own?

As she reached the front of her building, she caught glimpse of a white van with tinted windows parked in front of her building. She guessed that was the camera crew.

Her assumption was confirmed when, after parking her car, a short woman with blonde hair cut into a bob approached her and introduced herself as Roberta Smith.

She agreed to let Roberta and the camera crew into her home and before she knew it they were all over the place. Kenadie felt slightly insecure having people inspect her habitat. Sure it was a condo that most people could only dream to live in, but what if they were questioning her décor choices.

She shook off the thought when one of the camera guys asked her if it was okay for them to setup their equipment next to the bookshelf. The books lined over the entire wall would be the backdrop, whilst the light coming in from the large windows would illuminate her face and body perfectly.

As the crew were setting up, Roberta turned to her and eyed her up and down.

"It'll take us a little while to make sure everything is perfect here. Feel free to use this time to freshen up, put on something nice."

Before feeling offended, Kenadie realised that maybe her simple hoodie and jeans outfit wasn't exactly fit for national television. Plus a little makeup wouldn't hurt. She smiled at Roberta and the crew before excusing herself.

She stepped into the bathroom attached to her bedroom and stood in front of the mirror. Today would be the first time she'd be interviewed and this entire journey will be televised, at least for the next three months. She had to look perfect for the screens and she had to look perfect for her groom.

One of the reasons she enjoyed being a writer was the fact that she worked behind the scenes. No one really cared what she looked like. It was her work that mattered.

Her best friend Aurora always tried to convince her that she was beautiful. Her dark skin, thick lips and curly hair were such prominent features, features that society today continually convinced her to be proud of. She was, but not as much as she wanted to be because it was a difficult thing to shake off all the criticism she faced throughout her childhood because of it.