06

Two days had passed since she picked out her wedding dress. One of the benefits of this experiment was that she didn't have to stress out about all the details of the wedding. She'd been assured that a production team would be on it. Only a few details like food and colour preferences had been ironed out with her. All she knew for certain was that she'd be sleeping and getting married at the Radnor hotel.

She wondered if they'd asked him about the same things, what his favourite colours were, his likes and dislikes. She wondered if they'd been matched based on their similarities or on an 'opposites attract' basis.

What's he doing right now?

The thoughts rolled through her mind like a film, unanswered as she searched her wardrobe for an outfit to wear. Today she was going to meet with the Pastor who would be officiating her wedding. Something about making sure she was in the right mental and spiritual state to be getting married, to a stranger no less.

The word stranger was being waved around and spat at every corner during this whole journey. If she were writing this in the form of a book, she'd be scrambling to find a synonym so that she wouldn't sound repetitive.

But the word did seem to resonate.

A short, electric blue skirt, white sleeveless blouse and ballet flats were her choice in the end. The pressure to look good on television was really starting to get to her. She wished they would at least show her the footage after taping, but alas, she'd been told no.

The area around the church where she'd be meeting the pastor was still as she put her Mini Cooper in park after a twenty minute drive. She recognized Roberta and the crew's white van parked a few spots away from her. Anxiety bubbled up in the pit of her stomach with every step she took towards the doors of the church.

What if she thinks I'm not ready? was the most dominant fear plaguing her.

She and Pastor Reynolds didn't have many one on one sessions during the six month 'trial period' which is why she wasn't too surprised that she'd been called to speak with her.

Kenadie's eyes widened when she saw a camera pointed her way as she stepped through the church doors but her expression mellowed when she saw Pastor Reynolds smiling at her and holding out her hand.

She gave it a firm shake which was reciprocated.

"It's nice to see you Kenadie, come right this way." Reynolds led her to a room in the back which was used as an office.

As she walked behind her, Kenadie admired how the elderly woman always had her natural hair tamed into a bun, a few grey streaks making her look distinguished. She wondered if, with old age, she'd opt for the neat and pressed look too. As for now, she preferred to have her curly tresses free to bounce in the air.

Once they got into the office, both women sat in chairs facing each other, an average-sized desk creating a boundary between them. Two more cameras were in the room, Kenadie felt thankful they weren't manned. Something about Pastor Reynolds' demeanour told her this was going to be a personal discussion.

"So, Kenadie, how are the wedding preparations going?" Pastor Reynolds asked.

"It's been pretty hectic. But I'm really excited."

"Nerves?"

"Lots of nerves!"

The two women laughed.

"Well, I called you in today because I needed to make sure you are prepared to take this huge step. Although a lot of people think less of marriage these days, it is one of the most important milestones in a person's life and it's a promise not just to your partner but to God."