Believe in Me- Chapter 24: An Unexpected Act of Sacrifice

It had been an hour since Sherlock, John and Flora got to the party and nothing seemed out of the ordinary. Everything was going exactly how a normal party would run, but there was no doubt that something was going to happen.
"This is awfully regular," Sherlock shifted his eyes to scan the room. "It's not right. Something should have happened by now."
"Someone must be waiting for the opportune moment," Flora commented.
"I think you're right," said John. "What do you think will happen?" He looked to Sherlock who was still watching the guests.
"I have a feeling that someone's going to die," he replied in a low voice. "The question is: when?"
Then, Irene appeared with a glass of bubbly champagne in her hand. "Are you enjoying the party?"
"Don't hide the fact that this is a room full of criminals," Sherlock said. "And that at any moment, someone is going to die. What's really going on?"
"I'm not hiding anything, dear," Irene said looking innocent. "I certainly don't intend for anyone to die and you seem so sure that I would."
"Because you work for Jim Moriarty," Sherlock scowled at her. "You would do anything for protection, even if that means locking us up with known killers and risking our lives to save your own."
"I would never do that," Irene stepped closer to Sherlock until she was inches from his face. "You're too valuable."
"What makes you think that?"
"You're brilliant mind. It can be used for all sorts of things."
"Are you two quite finished?" John interrupted. He had a habit of doing that. Irene and Sherlock turned to face him, which John decided it was the perfect moment to fire a dark glare at her until she moved away. Irene repositioned herself further away from Sherlock and took a sip of her champagne.
"So why are we here?" Asked John.
"I can't say," Irene replied. "That would be telling."
"So we're definitely here for a reason?"
Irene gave a slight nod. "Everything happens for a reason." She smiled widely and changed the subject. "Are you going to dance?"
"No," Sherlock answered flatly.
"I thought you liked dancing."
"Not when we're surrounded by wrong doers."
"That's a soft name," Irene laughed. "I think there's worse for most of these people."
"As do I," Sherlock agreed.
"So, are you going to dance then?"
"No."
And without taking a second thought, Flora grabbed Sherlock by the hand and whisked him away into the crowd.
"What was that for?" He asked.
"She was driving me nuts," Flora pulled her hair behind her ear and looked back at John, who was left with the Dominatrix. "All this dancing nonsense can get quite irritating."
"Yes," Sherlock nodded and held Flora's hand while putting his other round her waist. "But a bit of dancing never hurt anyone. Shall we?"
Flora put her free hand on his shoulder and smiled. "With pleasure, Mr Holmes."
So, the two of them danced in time to the slow waltz played by an orchestra. While keeping half an eye on John, who was doing his best to hide or look casual.
"I didn't know you could dance," Flora said.
"It's a hidden talent," Sherlock joked. "I didn't know you could dance either."
"I can't. I just go with the flow," she grinned.
"Well, most people come out with unexpected actions."
"Are you one of those people?" Flora asked looking curious.
"I don't know," Sherlock shrugged. "Sociopaths that go by the name of Sherlock Holmes aren't required or are likely to do so, but I think just on this one occasion-" He leant over and kissed Flora on the lips, which made her flinch and her heart flutter.
"Very unexpected," she stuttered and Sherlock smiled, but quickly lost it.
"Apologies, I shouldn't have done that," he turned his gaze to the floor and ruffled his dark curls.
"No need to apologise," Flora said quickly. "It was a good unexpected action," she laughed then said: "better than your Christmas present."
Sherlock beamed as he thought back to Christmas Day, when Flora had given him that unusual pen and he had kissed her lightly on the cheek. The odd thing is, why would he do that?
"If you say so," he said while a smile.
"Sherlock?"
"Yes?"
"What's that man doing?"
Sherlock turned around to see a man dressed in black hidden in the shadows of the room. His eyes were dark and meant trouble, he also held a sniper rifle which was pointed at Sherlock.
"I've been waiting for the moment all night," Sherlock said quietly. "Looks like so some wants me dead."
"You're not going to die," Flora assured him. "Someone else will."
"Who?"
But before Sherlock could get an answer, the short and sharp sound of a firing bullet sounded. For him, there wasn't any sense of pain or any red substance oozing from him. The same couldn't be said for Flora...