Chapter Eight~Never Really Done

Skylyn and I rode silently down the seemingly endless highway; the music filling the void of our words. We both had somewhat tense expressions on our faces. Despite how much we denied it, we were nervous to visit home for the first time since our engagement. Mom had finally came back from rehab and I needed to come out to her. Sky's grandparents had found out about the whole engaged-to-the-same-gender situation through local gossip. They were furious with us and Sky's parents for supporting us; making it clear about their "anti-gay" views. To be honest, you were never fully "came out." Every time you met someone new or visited relatives, you would have to repeat the nerve wrecking process.
Although Sky and I didn't give two fucks about what others thought about us online or behind our back; this seemed different. This was family that we cared about and would despise losing them because we didn't fit in a claustrophobic, small box of societal views.
  The car simmered to a stop in front of the two-story brick house that I had visited countless times to hang out with my childhood bestie. Sky had insisted we get her house over with first. I agreed; We walked to the front steps and rung the doorbell. Moments later, Sky's mom, Teresa, answered the door. She signaled us to come inside, and gave us a glimmer of a smile.
We walked in, and joined everyone in the living room. Almost immediately, I could sense a coldness in the room, as though a fight had bursted up until a few minutes ago. Skylyn and I joined them on the worn beige sofa. A moment passed in silence.
"So, Skylyn and this girl Olivia are engaged then?" Sky's grandfather started coldly, almost hurt.
Everyone except the aging couple nodded.
"...And no one thought to tell us? I thought we were a close family but turns out I was wrong." He finished.
"Skylyn and Olivia got engaged on the day of their high school graduation. You and Mom were visiting relatives in Russia...A few months later they headed off to college and I thought it would be best if they told you in person." Skylyn's Dad answered.
"I think it would've been better if I found out my granddaughter was engaged with a girl from you, Bryant, than an outsider. " He said harshly.
"Well, you know now, Dad. Instead of blaming us, maybe you should at least try to understand your granddaughter.
"So, um... Are you gay or...?" Sky's grandmother asked Skylyn, steering the conversation elsewhere.
"I'm bisexual. Boys and girls." Sky said quietly.
"Oh, okay." Her grandmother replied.
Another dead silence. I cleared my throat.
"I think we should start going. We still have to visit my parents before we leave for our flight." I mumbled slightly. Sky had a couple of clients for BeautyCon LA, and was attending it too because of her IG following.
"Yeah. You guys start heading out then. Have a nice trip." Teresa said cheerfully, trying to lighten the mood.
********************************************
I hugged Mom for a solid minute; making up for the four years she had spent in rehabilitation for her drug addiction and crippling sanity. I realized that for the first time, she didn't smell like beer or smoke. Mom actually smelled nice, like the perfume she wore before all of this happened.
"Who is this girl, Olivia?"
"My fiancée, Skylyn." I answered bluntly, wanting to get it over with.
"Oh. Right. Your father said something about that but this wasn't what I was expecting..."
I could tell she was trying; not wanting to break the peace that had been slightly restored in the past five minutes.
"Are you lesbian, then?" She asked.
"Yeah..." I responded.
The rest of the time at my parents' house was spent catching up. My mom still hadn't quite adjusted yet to the lesbian thing, as was expected.
********************************************
Skylyn and I said our goodbyes and got in the car.
"Crap. I forgot my phone; I'll be right back." I said, going back to the house. I opened the front door quietly, not wanting to disturb my parents from whatever they must be doing. I'm assuming that they didn't hear me come in because of what I heard next.
"What the fuck, Roger?! Our only daughter got engaged with the same gender...Do you know what this means, she's gay... It's all a phase; she'll get over it...And I thought she would be in good hands while I was recovering...I just didn't want to cause a ruckus in front of everyone." Mom yelled across the living room.
"You're just gonna have to accept that she's gay. It took time for me too, but eventually I came to terms with it. Either you drop that close-minded ideology or you lose your daughter. Your choice." Dad responded sharply.
   I felt my body cripple as my parents fought over accepting my sexuality. Here was I thinking that Mom would understand; that she would get it. But clearly she didn't, and she wouldn't fully adjust for a bit. I grabbed my phone silently from the couch and left; trying to keep myself together until I spill to Sky, who is practically my therapist at this point.