↱ 𝖈𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝖋𝖔𝖚𝖗; 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖘𝖑𝖊𝖊𝖕𝖔𝖛𝖊𝖗

After their first playdate, Eddie became an almost permanent fixture in the Wheeler house. He'd spent hours after school each day playing with Richie and Mike in their basement until Sonia arrived at five o'clock on the dot to take Eddie home for dinner and his medicine.

Today, however, Richie would be going over to Eddie's house for a sleepover. Eddie had invited Mike as well, but the nervous boy didn't want to go without his mother as Sonia scared him.

"Hi, Mrs. Kas-bwak," Richie grinned as Sonia opened the door to find Karen and Richie waiting on the porch. The curly haired boy carried a stuffed dog in one hand and a mini rolling race car suitcase holding a toothbrush and pair of pajamas in the other.

"Richie," Sonia smiled tightly at the boy and his mother. "Eddie Bear, your friend's here!"

"Richie!" came the squealing voice of a five-year-old Eddie, running full speed down the stairs towards the front door.

"Edward Kaspbrak!" Sonia barked making the small boys smile falter as he reached the landing.

"Sorry, mommy," Eddie whispered, continuing to approach the door with a small grin he was shooting at Richie. "Hi, Richie!"

"Hiya, Eddie Spaghetti," Richie grinned back, stepping into the Kaspbrak house for the first time.

"Richie! We're gonna do so many fun stuffs," Eddie squealed, launching into a description of the race car track he had set up in his room in preparation for Richie's arrival.

"Richie, sweetie," Karen called, gaining the boys attention.

"Yes, mommy?"

"I'm heading out, okay?" Karen smiled, squatting down to pull Richie into a hug. "You be good for Mrs. Kaspbrak, okay?"

"Okay, mom," Richie nodded earnestly.

"I'll pick you up tomorrow morning at 10am, got it?" Karen reminded.

"Yup," Richie squeaked, realising for the first time that he was going to be left in an unfamiliar place overnight. "Mommy," Richie whispered, looking down at his dog Ruffy.

"Yes, sweetheart?" Karen smiled, brushing Richie's hair away from his eyes.

"What if I'm scared?"

"Oh, honey," Karen sighed. "There's no reason to be scared. I'm just a phone call away if you need anything, okay?"

Richie nodded, lips pouted as tears began to well up in his eyes.

"It's okay, Rich," came Eddie's squeaky little voice as the small boy approached them. "My mommy will keep us both safe."

"Okay," Richie nodded, sniffling slightly as Eddie took Richie's mysteriously sticky hand in his own.

"I love you, sweetie," Karen smiled, pressing a kiss to Richie's forehead before straightening up.

"Love you too, mommy," Richie mumbled.

"C'mon, Rich," Eddie whispered, moving to grab Richie's hand.

"Go on and have fun, love," Karen encouraged.

"C'mon the super smash demolition derby is all set up!" Eddie squealed, tugging on Richie's hand to gain his attention before pulling him in the direction of the stairs as Sonia said goodbye to Karen.

"Eddie," came a gravelly voice from one of the rooms off of the foyer.

"Oh," Eddie stopped, leading Richie towards the deep voice. "Yeah, daddy?"

The two boys stopped in front of a reclining chair holding a bald man with ventilator tubes twisting around him. Richie stepped back behind Eddie, scared by the stranger and his appearance.