Chapter 28

Chapter 28

I swallowed back at the sight of Caleb’s intense blue eyes. Jake had been right, the alpha was mad and he wasn’t hiding it. I glanced over at Thomas who was standing back as the nosy bystander. “I didn’t say you could open my door.” I was stupidly thinking that if Thomas hadn’t opened the door I could’ve avoided Caleb when the truth was Caleb was never ignored. His presence and everything about him was too strong.

“I was being polite. I’ll go sightsee outside and give you some time alone.” At least Thomas knew when to butt out.

The air only grew tenser as Caleb and I stood alone now. “What is it?”  I was the first to break the cold silence.

“I’ve met Thomas before through Jake. He’s apart of the SCF.” That sounded like an accusation.

“Yeah I decided to take Bess up on her job offer.” I hadn’t intended to say that but the words flew out my mouth. More and more my body was betraying me and answering to Caleb like I had some duty to, my animal twisting inside wanting to submit to him. “I know that isn’t why you stopped by.” I didn’t like how nervous I was. For years Caleb and I coexisted and I never felt like this even when we would argue over his dislike for vampires.

“I don’t like how we left things earlier. You don’t owe me anything and I shouldn’t have acted like you did.”

For what sounded like an apology his words stung deep inside my heart. “What does that mean?”

“You live your life and I’ll live mine. I won’t ask for your assistance anymore and I think it’s best if our paths don’t cross again.” His words were as hard as his eyes, deadly edges he wanted to wield like a knife and cut deep, he was succeeding.

“That’s what you came to say? You could’ve called and left that on a message or better yet ignore me as you’ve always done in the past because I wasn’t good enough.” He was hurting me and I didn’t know how to fight my emotions when I was hurt. “I’m sorry things got so out of hand and all the times I went running to you when I shouldn’t have.”

His jaw hardened as he said nothing and his eyes moved off my face and down to the ground. “Do you regret it all?”

A powerful cord emotion twisted around my heart as again I couldn’t lie to him. “No.” I dragged a hand down my face and tried to keep control of my tears. “You were there for me when no one else was through this mess with the coven.” I couldn’t tear my eyes away from his face even as he couldn’t look at me. “I only regret hurting you.” I whispered truthfully.

He nodded and turned toward the door. “Good luck with the job.”

I stood there like a fooling hating the fact I didn’t stop him and admit I didn’t want us to cease all ties to each other. I had come to rely on Caleb as a friend and when I least expected it a bond had formed between us. I didn’t know how to forget it but at the same time I didn’t know how to explain it or what I even wanted from the guy. It was better to let him walk away and maybe in time these aches wouldn’t be as strong and we could figure this out.

Except, what was this? I let myself think about this for a moment. In a perfect world what did I want from Caleb? I walked over to my couch and sat down. My heart felt tight like I couldn’t get enough air in my lunges, I couldn’t stop everything I was feeling and I sure as hell couldn’t control it.

Thomas stepped back in the house and took one step back when he saw me crying. He was a guy who couldn’t handle a few tears like they were acid instead of water. “Um…?”

“You don’t have to say anything.” I let him off the hook and stood from the couch, I needed to get out of there and forget the impossible. “So let’s go and find something to eat. I hope you’re not a health nut.”