Chapter 13

Chapter 13

I went from being mad I didn’t know anything to feeling very weird as I left Caleb’s. It didn’t seem like it was awkward for him so why the hell was it awkward for me? Maybe I just wasn’t used to him being so chatty and getting so close.

I was taking a walk down the park for several reasons, I wanted to clear my head and now that the coven wasn’t gunning for it I could actually be out in public and no one would attack me. A walk seemed nice.

“A woman in thought is a woman on a mission.”

I stopped and turned toward my left where I heard the voice. It had come from Bess; she was sitting on a bench with several folders on her lap. “Is it a coincidence we’re running into each other?” I didn’t believe in coincidences.

She shrugged. “I come here to get out of the office every so often so I can pretend it doesn’t consume my every waking moment.” It was a very depressing statement but it didn’t seem to bother her.

“Are you sure about that?” I motioned to the paperwork on her lap. “It’s still with you.”

“Everything you try to hide from has a way of always being with you.” she was only a few years older than me in her late twenties but her eyes and words told the story of someone twice her age.

I didn’t like how her wise statements always seemed to fit into my own dilemmas. “Instead of trying to find new agents you should hire an assistant.”

“My sister said the same thing but I’m too much of a control freak not to do it myself.” she shrugged again, she was comfortable with her faults and made no excuses.

“Looks like you got it all figured out. I should be going.” I got out of there before she could try to sell me the points of working for the SCF again. I liked being prepared and knowing what was happening and how it’d affect me, I knew the SCF would help me do that but I just couldn’t see myself being a cop or even something like a cop. I didn’t want anyone slapping a label on me or suspecting they knew what I was capable of. Like Bess was trying to do.

I kept walking until I looped around back to the parking lot where I left my car. It was about an hour later and I still had no answers. I didn’t know what was happening with Michael and Caleb, I couldn’t understand Caleb anymore than I could months ago. It was all a waste of time trying to figure it out.

I was on my way to the restaurant to tell Dominic I didn’t need any time off and I could cover the last of my bruising with make up when my cellphone rung. I knew the number displayed on the screen. “Jamie?”

“Hi! Are you busy?”

“Not really, why?” Groveling to Dominic could wait a little longer; I probably had a better chance later anyway after he was rested.

“Sarah had something to do and I’m stuck at the mall in need of a ride.”

I didn’t like the sound of that. “She just left you alone?”

“I did convince her I’m a big girl and she could go. I think it was some official business.” She was careful not to say pack in a public area. Her father had taught her well.

“I’m on the rode and should be there in a few minutes.”

I was barely pulled up to the front entrance when Jamie dashed inside the car. “Go!”

I looked at her like she was crazy and before I could ask why; the answer jumped into my back seat. “Not funny.” Jake said and he was slightly out of breath.

I turned around and looked at Jake. “The second is out of breath?”

He didn’t appreciate the humor in this, his eyes narrowed. “She’s faster than she looks.”

“She should be, she is of Caleb’s descent.” I turned back to the girl in question. “Why are you running from Jake?”

“I guess Sarah got there and told dad she left me alone and of course he sent someone to look after me. I don’t like being treated like a kid.” I also knew she didn’t like that it was Jake her father sent too.

“Just because you’re going to be sixteen doesn’t make you an adult yet.” I cringed. “That sounded like something your father would say. I was just trying to come up with a way to mention the birthday you didn’t tell me about.” I turned around again to face Jake. “Shouldn’t you be at work?”

“It’s my day off from the ME’s office. I should’ve gone in.” he glared at Jamie when she wasn’t looking. It was a shame there was a ten year age difference because them as a couple might’ve worked. Ok that was a creepy thought, or maybe not considering her last boyfriend was double her age. I didn’t like how this was reminding me of my past with Michael. I had been fifteen too once, something I was remembering a lot lately.

“I can keep an eye on her from here.” I said.

Jake shook his head. “I have to talk to Caleb and clear it first.”

“Man what a lapdog.” Jamie muttered.

Jake glared at her again before leaving the car to use his phone.

“Harsh.” I said. “It’s not his fault or anyone else’s how your father makes the rules.”

“There is what, ten members to my dad’s pack? What does he always send him?” she was careful now not to be overheard as she glanced out the window where Jake was standing.

“Because he trusts him the most and when it comes to you he wants the best when he can’t be there.” I sighed and made up my mind to offer some advice. “It’ll pass. Once you get over Ray and find a nice boy your age, Jake will be a faint memory.”

“Right.” It didn’t sound like she believed me and it sure did sound like there was more on her mind but she kept it to herself. We sat in silence until Jake peeked back in and told us Caleb was fine with Jamie staying with me.