Chapter 27

Chapter 27

I wasn’t entirely sure why but I was shocked when I saw Thomas Monroe for the first time. I was expecting more of a military action type of guy with a hardened face and buzz cut hair, not some tall guy in baggy jeans with looks that were more suited for the pages of a surfer magazine with bright blonde hair and light blue eyes that would make even the clear sky outside envious.  

By the expression on his face he wasn’t expecting what he got with me either. I didn’t know what you wore for a training session or what went on in said training session so I kept on my flannel shirt large enough to reach down to my knee and conceal my shorts. 

He was holding a clipboard and looked down at it then me and repeated the routine three times before asking, “You wouldn’t be Evangeline Cortez would you?”

“That’s me and I prefer to be called Evie.” Only Caleb went around calling me by my full name and right now I was trying to pretend the alpha wasn’t somewhere pissed off at me and all the ways that was bothering me.

“Ok, Evie. You’re early.” He turned around and moved back to the desk that looked odd in the large space. These sessions were being held in the Celestin high school gym during summer break.

“I wanted to get a feel for the place before class started. Bess didn’t mention my temporary partner was also teaching the class.” He looked surprised that I had guessed his identity. “Your nametag gives you away.” I pointed to the little clip-on positioned right over his heart.

He frowned as he looked down at his t-shirt. “I forgot that was there. Company rules decide that I need to walk around like some camp leader wearing a nametag and handing out gold stars.”

“Gold stars?”

“They are very difficult to obtain.”

I almost laughed at how absurd this conversation was and the fact he was completely serious about his little stars. “Ok then.”

“Were you a good student in school Ms. Cortez?”

“Sure.” School at the coven was much different than it was in traditional schools, it was harder and much stricter running seven days a week. After I ran away at fifteen I obtained my GED online.

“Into any sports? Athletes make great cops.”

I knew he was asking me all these things in hopes to get a glimpse of who I was and how hard he was going to have to work with me but I hated having to open up personally and remember my complicated past. “I’m fast and a quick learner. That’s all you need to know.”

“We’re never going to be able to trust each other if we don’t get to know one another. It hurts my feelings it really does that you don’t like me.”

Oh my…I think Thomas might be a little crazy or a whole lot of it. “I don’t know you so I can’t dislike you or trust you.” That was the simple truth.

“Bess won’t clear you in a few days or even a few weeks so we should change this distance between us. Ask me something.” He crossed his arms and perched his butt on top of the desk.

“You’re a little erratic, are you on medication? No I’m not joking.”

He smiled and that made me wary more than anything. “Nothing but the occasional sleeping pill.” He motioned to the empty chair near where I was standing and I sat.

“How does a human get mixed up with the supernatural?”

“You go right for the big ones huh?  A friend of a friend type of thing, it’s nothing glamorous. It says in your file that you’re a witch, you don’t look like one.” Again he took in my flannel shirt that was probably more suited for the Brawny paper towel guy.