Chapter 17

Chapter 17

That afternoon I decided it would be best for me to get out of the house and away from the insanity also known as my thoughts. Just a year ago things were pretty simple, I worked and hang out at home, sure I missed Michael but my days were relatively boring. I missed that. I didn’t want to factor in Caleb and the pack when I heard ramblings around the city; I didn’t want to worry for them. I didn’t belong to their pack and I had to remember that before I made a stupid mistake.

I went to La Amour to see Dominic, maybe now he could help me figure out exactly what I should be worried about. The master vampire was working on some paperwork at his desk. “No cooking tonight?”

“Who can cook when all this paperwork is piling high?” He was annoyed with the matters that needed his attention, he’d much rather be having fun creating new food creations. “What can I do for you darling?”

“You can let me come back to work, I’ll even help you with all those papers.” I pointed to the high stack of folders he hadn’t touched yet.

“Are you that bored being home?”

“Yes and I’ve proven to do pretty stupid things when I have free time.”

“Ryan mentioned seeing you at Disputandum last night.” Ryan was a fellow master vampire and the owner of the club. He was a vampire who had no trouble with other races, he allowed everyone in as long as there was respect.

I cringed. “Yeah, not my best decision. I need work.”

“You need a life.” Dominic didn’t like to sugarcoat even when what he was saying was pretty harsh. “A young beautiful girl shouldn’t be focused on work, you need something worth living for.”

“Like what?” I was pretty sure I knew what he was talking about as I sat in that empty chair across from his desk. “I’m not that average girl that can find a nice normal guy to settle down with. You know how different I am.” I had never told him or Michael the truth about he coven but after I helped Caleb and Jamie I was forced to reveal that part of my past and accept it as my present.

“And there are nice average supernaturals out there.”

I smiled. “You want me to find someone, settle down, have kids?” he sounded more and more like a father to me every time we spoke.

“It wouldn’t hurt.”

“Are you telling me this because you care or because you want me to stay away from Michael?” I had to be sure.

Dominic smiled softly. “My decision was never about you personally. I knew even then you weren’t made for each other. You never accepted the immortal life and in the same hand you could never accept his life.” I couldn’t be upset when he made so much sense.

“You don’t have to worry about it, we’re over and that’s all.” it stung to remember how he walked away last night, the easy way he said goodbye. “And no there’s no one else either.” I could feel him about to mention Caleb. I cared for the alpha in the sense I didn’t want him to be killed but it wasn’t romantic.

“The right man will come along.” He wanted to give me hope.

“Can’t I have a fulfilling life without a man in it?”

“Well, sure.” Dominic gave it some thought, he was a man born in a time where women needed a man. “What gives you joy?”

“Work.” I smiled. “So can I come in for my regular shifts?”

Dominic leaned back in his leather chair. “Yes…starting tomorrow. Tonight you’re on paperwork duty.”

“You play dirty old man.” I was all smiles, I was willing to do anything as long as I didn’t have to go home and find some sitcom to watch on TV to pass time.

I was working on the paperwork which consisted of budget reports and itemizing many different receipts. I was alone in the office; Dominic rushed down to the kitchen to cook different specials for the evening.

I was getting into a comfortable groove sorting through the paperwork and entering information into the computer when I heard a soft knock against the open door. My hands stilled as I stared at him.

“My father always manages to get out of the boring stuff.” Michael said easily, his hands in his pockets as he glanced around the office he knew every detail to. “I thought you wouldn’t be back for several more days?”

“I didn’t need anymore time off.” I couldn’t stop staring at him; it wasn’t because I was still upset about last night or anything about our past encounters. I was staring because I saw plain as day there was something bothering him.

He was being too quiet, too withdrawn, and not his charismatic self. I wanted to ask what was wrong, what could I do, and then I remembered every time I asked those questions it didn’t end well and I ended up with a new crack in my heart.

“Are you looking for Dominic?” I asked, still unable to tear my eyes away but at least I didn’t try to get answers and start a losing fight.

“No.” he gave a small smile. “I just wanted to see you. You look better from your battle wounds.” I hated that he said something that sweet and serious then quickly tried to change the topic.

“It just needs to finish healing, I feel fine.”

He tore his eyes away from whatever he had found interesting near the window and finally looked me in the eye. “I’m sorry about last night. I know I don’t have the right to ask anything of you.”

I had tried so hard to stay away from the topic and this time he took us to that place. “What did you want from me? You never told me why you came by in the first place. I’d help you anyway I can.” I had told him this so many times before.

“As long as it doesn’t involve the alpha.” There was no mistaking the levels of anger behind his tone.

I got up from Dominic’s chair and walked around the desk. “You said there was a conflict, tell me what it is and let me make my own decision.”

“And what if you decide I’m the one wrong and you team up with Caleb against me?”

He really had no idea how much I was in love with him and I refused to tell him again only to be shot down. “That would never happen.”

Michael’s eyes moved along my face as he gave thought to what I had said and wanted. “Over the last month I’ve realized Caleb has been trying to keep taps on what’s been happening with the vampires. My region as well as Lucas’.” The master vampires all kept an eye on different parts of the city. “I haven’t figured out why and I was hoping you might know something.” That explains why he’s been coming to see me and why he wanted me to keep an eye on Caleb.

“I haven’t noticed anything. Before my run in with the coven a few days ago I haven’t seen much of him or the other pack members.”

He smiled and this time it was genuine. He realized there was apart of me that would always be on his side “Thank you.”