CONTEST - Don't Let Her Out

for Lilith's Games

blackroguex

I was originally going to make something simple with the image attached, but I went with this instead

when I read the scene, my initial reaction was to continue it. this is what I came up with—that gave me inspiration for the cover.

SCENE CONTINUED

The familiar voice faded in an out as Gail's head pounded. It morphed from innocent pleads to raspy demands. Gail dropped the phone, distancing herself from the yelling on the other end.

She rubbed her temple, gripping the side of a doorframe to keep her steady. It felt as if there was something inside her mind that wanted to be set free, to rip her apart slowly. She tried so hard to blink away the haze. Her sight became clear as eyes landed on the basement door.

Immediately, horrific assumptions rushed through her thoughts. Gulping the images down like a strong shot of liquor, Gail descended the staircase to the basement. She ignored the creaks and unsteadiness in each step.

For several breathless moments, she stared at the chipping in the red paint, her hand hovering above the handle.

Suddenly her slender fingers wrapped around the cold medal, swinging the door open.

In the middle of the spacious room was a body, covered in so much blood that it stained the elegant marble flooring.

Covering her mouth, Gail gasped, her eyes bulging out of her skull. Tears rolled down her cheeks as she rushed back to the door. It slammed in her face, sending an echo through the room.

Gail spun around, terrified to be stuck in a room with a halfway-rotten corpse. But the body was gone. The marble tiles were shiny, not so much as covered in dust.

Closing her eyes, she calmed herself down, convincing herself it was a hallucination. More aware of her surroundings, Gail made her way to the door that would take her to the backyard. She almost made it out, until she caught something moved out of the corner of her eye.

A golden framed mirror, hung on the wall beside her reflected someone who wasn't her. The dead girl from before smiled back at her through the dirty glass. Her face was covered in blood and her hair was matted.

In a sudden movement, her beaten hand hit the glass. "Let me out!"

basically, I thought maybe the Gail character was having a bit of a Fight Club moment

basically, I thought maybe the Gail character was having a bit of a Fight Club moment. where she thinks she's talking to someone else but it's actually just an illusion of her split personality.

she thinks there's a ghost in the mirror; that there's a body on the floor; that she killed someone. but really something traumatic happened within that week, and this other girl represents a piece of her that died and the memories that want to be let out.

I know, I'm a little dark ahah

your graphic fanatic,
Emily. ✌🏻