Prologue

Eric looked at the list of numbers on the paper in front of him and frustration filled him his eyes burning as the sums began to blur together. It wasn’t the quantity of the sums that bothered him, but rather the fact that he’d called his lawyer for the figures in the first place. He still loved Lennon more than he thought was possible after over a decade of marriage and never imagined he would be reviewing costs of alimony and child support for two rambunctious boys; but, he couldn’t deny she wasn’t happy anymore.

He sighed, crumbling the papers, preparing to toss into the trash. If he had a choice, he’d rather figure out a way to fix everything, maybe counseling? Lots of couples go to counseling. Yet, he couldn’t see them sitting in a room with a complete stranger, talking about their problems. Besides, it’s not like they weren’t getting along. They rarely fought. If anything, they had disagreements that they worked out with the help of time, patience, and communication. And experience. If nothing else, over a decade of marriage rendered plenty of experience.

So, where did it all go wrong?

Still contemplating, he smoothed out the paper on his desk. He still loved her and was positive she still loved him. And, they still got along well enough. It’s just, well, it got stale. They had become more like roommates than a happily married couple.

Such revelations didn’t ease his inner battle any and he stood over the paper shredder, once again ready to destroy all proof of his contemplation. He hovered a few more seconds before finally storing it deep in the back of his filing cabinet before sliding it shut, and locking it.