Chapter 25: Preventative Measures

December 10, 2014

December 10, 2014

Law Offices of Jensen & Oliver

I never thought that I would be here. Jhene has done a lot of evil and vindictive stuff but this had gone too far and for too long. I explained to my mother and Elise my need to take on legal action concerning the custody of my children. While my mom understood, Elise was worried about the effect it would have on my children. I had her same concerns but dealing with Jhene was becoming unbearable.

I walked into the office to meet up with my new custody lawyer, Jeanine Jensen. She was a former classmate of my mom in law school. She was a short, forty-something, petite woman with curly hair. Her office was welcoming. It resembled a home that had been remodeled into an office space.

"Hey Zach, it's been so long," she said while hugging me. " I haven't seen you since you graduated college," she said pulling away and guiding me to her office.

" Hey, Mrs. Janine. It's nice to see you too. I just wished it was under better circumstances," I said with a frustrated sigh.

" I know, I know," she said shaking her head, "so tell me what brings you here exactly," she said pulling a notepad and pen closer to her on the desk.

" Short version, Jhene, my child's mother, is being difficult because I didn't marry her. She intentionally excludes my wife or will make seeing them difficult if I prefer to host something at my house. Prime example, Thanksgiving this year. The only reason the kids got to come was that she came, and that's how it usually goes. I don't want to keep fighting with her over when I can see my kids and who they can be around," I said breathlessly.

" I know exactly where you're coming from. I have seen this so many times. Are you interested in doing a mediation to try and resolve this or are you dead set on going straight to court so that I can know how to advise you," she expressed looking deep into my eyes, searching for something I presume.

" I tried mediation with her about three years ago when she took me to court for child support-"

"So you are paying child support already?"

" Yes, mam. At the time, Jhene said custody wasn't an issue for her and that she would never keep me from my kids, she just didn't feel like she was getting enough financial support. Then she got mad because the judge granted her way less than what I was giving her, to begin with."

" Are you looking for full or joint custody," Jeanine queried, shuffling over to her file cabinet retrieving a blue file folder from the third drawer.

"Joint. Although Jhene is a pain in my ass, it doesn't mean that she is a bad mother. That I can't take from her," I said in thought. Although it seems that Jhene makes poor decisions and can be vindictive, she always took good care of the kids.

"So this is what we will do Zach. I will file your petition with the courts, and then they should be serving her with papers notifying her of your petition and the court date. You can choose to tell her ahead of time, or you can wait until she gets served. I would recommend that you let her know ahead of time so that she can prepare and get a lawyer if she chooses," she finished placing her pen down and meeting my eyes.