Chapter 41: Roads Less Traveled

December 1, 2015 (Three Months later)

Things had been moving smoothly in the Tate household

Things had been moving smoothly in the Tate household. We spent Thanksgiving at my mom's house against her complaints of us traveling. Zach and I chose to spend Davis' birthday with just the two of us. We had a nice dinner and a small cake with number one candle to celebrate what would have been his first birthday. I was proud of me. I didn't cry or get overly emotional. Don't get me wrong, I missed my son dearly and wanted him here with us, but I found peace in knowing that God needed him more.

Today was a day full of meetings for me. Parent involvement coordinators from each school in our district met every quarter to discuss what we had done or planned to do to encourage more parental involvement. This proved to be more difficult in high school because parents were more hands-off unless it involved sports, failing a class, or it was their child's senior year. This was sad because high school is where a lot of students' personalities and character bloomed. Children still need to be monitored and kept under a watchful eye.

I reached in my purse to retrieve my cell phone and saw that I had a missed call and text from Jhene.

Jhene: The doctor is admitting me today due to blood pressure. I was wondering if you could pick up the kids from after-school care.

I bit down on my bottom lip as I read over Jhene's message. Zach was out of town at an engineer's conference, so I knew why she was reaching out to me. But I was still shocked. Jhene had been on her best behavior lately. She had been pleasant to be around. There were no jabs or smart remarks. She even asked me to plan Kiya's birthday party. It almost seemed like this baby had calmed her down and brought her peace, so hearing that her blood pressure was a problem surprised me.

Elise: Good morning! Yes, I can pick them up. Do you need anything? Would you like me to bring the kids up there to see you?

If there was one thing that I was sure about, it was the fact that Jhene loved her children. Despite all of the other foolishness, she always took care of them.

Jhene: That would be nice. Thank you, Elise.

Elise: No problem.

The day dragged itself on before it finally came to a close. I gathered all of my belongings and packed up my laptop and made my way to the car. The weather had finally, and there was a chill in the air. I secured my scarf around my neck as I trekked across the parking lot to my car. Once I got in, I connected my phone, just as a call was coming through. I answered the phone as I began to back out of the parking space.