mistakes

November 1st, 2001

     "I have a problem," Thomas said instantly as he plopped down into a chair in the library.

     "We already know about the man, Newt told us," Kis stated as she crossed her arms over the table.

     "That isn't really it." Thomas looked between Kis and El, feeling his hands start to sweat. "You can't tell Newt okay? Please."

     "Keeping secrets from the boyfriend now are we?" Kis pursed her lips.

     "Please." Thomas practically begged.

     "Thomas, we won't tell him. What's going on?" El looked at him softly. She kinda reminded him of Newt in a way. El was crazy compassionate, she was just more open about it then his boyfriend was.

     "I know who the man is," Thomas whispered softly. "I know who killed Newt's family."

     "There's a catch," Kis said, leaning forward more. "There always is."

     "It was my dad."

     Both girl's eyes widened simultaneously. It was almost comical despite the situation.

     "Well are you sure?" El asked suddenly.

     "No. Well I saw it in my vision, but I don't have any prof."

     "And that's where we come in?"

     Thomas nodded. "Like Newt said, you guys raid WICKED all the time, you have files and you found stuff on me! Maybe you can find some about Newt and his family. There's probably a mission report or something I mean, three people ended up dead."

     The girls looked at each other again before Kis sighed. "Okay, we're in, but for the record I don't think you should be keeping this from him."

     Before Thomas could react El nudged her shoulder and made eyes down to her bag.

     Kid nodded and watched as El grabbed out a small box.

     "Xavier wanted to give you this, but we thought we'd ask you first in case you say no." El laughed lightly. "It's easier to say no to us than him."

     Thomas agreed with that. Xavier was nice and all but he was hella intimidating.

     El pushed it across the table and smiled when Thomas took it.

     The box was blue and cardboard with a black stripe across it. Thomas hesitated but opened it slowly.

     His face softened when he saw a slip with the letter X printed across it, the same one he saw on Kis and El's jeans the first day he met them.

     "Wait does this mean...?" Thomas looked up at them in awe.

     El nodded, her smile widening. "If you want it, there's a place on the X-Men for you."

     "I could be on the team?" Thomas asked again feeling something bubble in his chest. Excitement. Yeah he was excited.

     He looked between Kis and El before the bubble burt and his expression fell. "I can't."

     "What why?" Kid asked, cocking her head slightly.

     "Because of him."

     "Newt would be happy for you Thomas," El said softly.

     Thomas shook his head. "I can't. He would pretend to be happy, but it would crush him. You know it would. I can't do this to him. I'm already lying to him. I can't hurt him more."