Chapter 6

Chapter 6

I was right.

By Saturday night, I could not take Max's mother glaring at me anymore.

I was pressured into making up the excuse that it was that time of the month just so Max would let me go. I still suspected that she knew why I left, because she kept brushing off her mother's remarks.

Matt and Trevor decided that leaving was a good idea as well.

Eddie only stayed until midnight on Friday.

We already made the arrangements that the next meet was going to be held at his house after school on Wednesday.

When I finally got home Saturday night, I was slightly surprised to find the house completely empty.

There was a note on the kitchen counter when I switched on the light.

Hi Jewel,

Lucas decided a surprise getaway was a good way of celebrating.

I will be back Sunday around eight o'clock.

I hope you had fun with your friends this weekend.

Love,

Aunty Alga.

I read the note around five times before folding it up and stuffing it in my diary.

Scanning the contents of the fridge, I pulled out some leftover macaroni and heated that up.

I was just starting to scoop some into a plate when my phone started ringing again.

"Hello, Jewel speaking." I answered automatically.

Licking off the excess sauce on my fingers, I started moving back to the fridge.

"Hi Jewel. It's Gavin speaking."

I stopped in my movement and frowned. I really don't remember giving him my number.

"Oh?"

"I asked Max for your number, so don't be surprised if she starts messaging you like a mad woman."

His explanation made a smile form on my lips and I tried my best not to laugh.

"Okay and can I ask why you asked for my number in the first place?"

There was a slight pause from the other end and I couldn't help but chuckle.

"I might have wanted to ask you to go to a party with me tonight. I know it is short notice and all but I really don't want to go alone and Trevor and Matt are probably already there hooking up with-"

"Gavin, if you stop talking, I might have a chance to say yes." I cut in, silencing him at once.

"Are you sure?" He asked after a moment.

"What kind of question is that?" I asked sceptically. "Yes, I'm sure. Now, have you already eaten?"

"Well, no, I just got into my house and was thinking about stopping for a pizza."

"I have a bowl of macaroni and cheese in front of me right now and if you want to join me, I'm starting to eat in ten minutes."

I heard some rustling from the other side before a door slammed in the background.

"Good, see you in five minutes then."

I chuckled as we hung up and eyed the bowl before deciding to make it a little more appetizing.