Chapter 4

Sierra stared up at Joe, who had still not stopped laughing at her predicament.

"It is not that funny," Sierra said.

"Yes it is," he insisted.

He splashed through the puddle towards her in hiking boots and blue jeans. His dark eyes were alight with mirth. He held out his hand to her. She didn't take it.

"Will you let me help you up?"

Grudgingly, Sierra took his outstretched hand. As he tried to pull her up, her feet slipped out from under her again. She fell back in the mud, this time pulling Joe down with her. He landed with his hands down on either side of her, holding his body an inch above hers. Sierra found herself suddenly very aware of the way his t-shirt clung to every muscle on his chest, then did her very best to banish the thought. His hair brushed her face. He hovered there just a moment longer than necessary before launching himself gracefully to his feet. This time, he managed to pull her up out of the mud.

"You're a very stubborn and persistent woman, you know that?" he asked her.

Sierra glared at him.

"Do you have a problem with persistent women?" she asked.

"No, I meant it as a compliment. I should hire you as my campaign manager."

"I think I'll pass, thank you," she said coldly.

"Now why can't you be nice to me, Sierra? I'm a nice guy."

"I very much doubt that." she replied. "How long have you known I was following you?"

"Only for the last few miles," he answered. "I can't believe you tried to follow me in that."

"Where were you going?"

Joe sighed.

"Ever the reporter, aren't you?"

"I prefer investigative journalist."

"Yes. I read your last piece of hard-hitting journalism. Your review of Guardians of the Galaxy was quite moving."

Sierra glared at him as she tossed her mud filled shoes into the car.

"At least I don't steal from charity."

"Is that what you think of me? You should be nicer."

"Why?"

"Because if you are, I'll help you get this ridiculous car unstuck."

Sierra weighed her options. On the one hand, she didn't want to accept his help. On the other, she wasn't sure what she was going to do without it.

"Why are you helping me?" she asked.

He smiled.

"Maybe it's because I like persistent women," he said with a wink.

He moved around the back of the car and braced himself to push.

"Climb in and give it some gas."

Sierra sat down in the driver's seat. She could see him reflected in the mirror, leaning against the car. He was infuriatingly gorgeous even covered in mud. He might have even been especially gorgeous covered in mud. She cranked the engine on and gave it a little gas. She watched him continue to push on the car without result. Then, as she gave it a little more gas, he moved his arms down and-

He lifted the car.

No, that was crazy. But the car lurched forward and the back wheels slammed back into the ground as it pulled free of the bog. She turned the car around and steered around the puddle, having already convinced herself that the feeling of being lifted up was just the wheels pulling out of the mud. She must have been startled by the movement and thought... never mind. It was crazy.

She stopped the car next to him and rolled down the window.

"Thank you," she said.

He pretended to tip his imaginary hat to her, dripping with charm.

"Always happy to help a damsel in distress. Even reporters."

Sierra met his eyes determinedly.

"This 'damsel' is still going to nail you for whatever you're up to out here."

"I have an alternative suggestion," he countered. "Why don't you let me take you to dinner and I'll tell you all about it? Some time when we're not covered in mud."

Dinner? Was she being asked out by the governor? Or was this just a ploy to distract her from the real issue? Her hormones, conjuring images of his eyes by candle light over hors devours and white table cloths betrayed her better judgment and she found herself telling him yes before she knew what she was doing.

"Great," he said. "How's Friday? I'll pick you up at seven."

The next thing she knew she was headed back down the dirt road towards home, Joe's Range Rover following closely behind to make sure she didn't get stuck again. She was trying to convince her brain that her decision to go on a date with the governor had been a purely analytical business decision. When they got back to the paved road Joe waved to her out the window as he headed back to wherever he was going. She fought the impulse to turn around and try to follow him again, not being convinced in the least that he had any intention of telling her what he was really doing.

Sierra headed down the road, looking for Molly. It was only then that she realized something and let out an audible groan.

Molly was going to be completely insufferable about this.