Chapter 45

Chapter Forty-Five

Xiao Zai carried Yan Shi Ning to Bei Dou's chamber.

Bei Dou was scared to death to see the unconscious Yan Shi Ning.

Xiao Zai put Yan Shi Ning on the bed and he explained to Bei Dou what happened at the Yan Manor.

'Go and run to the palace to tell Pei Jin,' Bei Dou said.

Xiao Zai rushed out of Bei Dou's chamber to the horse carriage.

Bei Dou was scared how Pei Jin would react to the news about Yan Shi Ning being injured.

Bei Dou washed his hands and was prepared to examine and clean Yan Shi Ning's wound. But he looked at the wound on her chest then he looked out the window. He saw a maid and summoned the maid.

'You come here,' Bei Dou said.

Bei Dou vaguely remembered the maid. He had seen her often in the gardens. She calmly helped examine Yan Shi Ning even though Yan Shi Ning's chest was bleeding.

'Have you washed your hands properly?' Bei Dou asked.

'Yes,' Xiao Tu said.

'Firstly, take off ninth prince's wife's dress,' Bei Dou said.

'The dress is stuck to mistress' chest,' Xiao Tu said.

'Use scissors to cut off her dress,' Bei Dou said.

'Yes,' Xiao Tu said.

'Use the bowl of water and cloth I prepared to clean her wound,' Bei Dou said.

'Yes,' Xiao Tu said.

'What colour is the blood?' Bei Dou said.

Xiao Tu passed a piece of Yan Shi Ning's dress to Bei Dou.

'Good, she's not poisoned,' Bei Dou said. 'You can bandage her wound.'

'Done,' Xiao Tu said.

Bei Dou dared to turn around and he checked Yan Shi Ning's condition.

Bei Dou was scared to see how much blood Yan Shi Ning lost. He was surprised the maid was calm while seeing that much blood.

Bei Dou decided the maid was suitable to help him examine people in the Yan Manor when they were ill or injured. After he was certain Yan Shi Ning's condition was stable, he and the maid walked outside his chamber.

Bei Dou looked at the maid who was staring at him strangely. She stepped closer to him and vomited on his clothes.

'Gentleman Bei, the sight of blood makes me queasy,' Xiao Tu said and fainted.

Bei Dou looked at his dirty clothes and the 'calm' maid who fainted on his chest, he realised he overestimated her calmness.

Inside the horse carriage, Xiao Zai gripped Xiao Hui's collar and Xiao Zai cried pitifully.

'I'll be dead soon,' Xiao Zai said. 'Ninth prince is going to skin me. What do I do?'

Xiao Hui endured Xiao Zai's tears that were dirtying his clothes.

'Don't worry,' Xiao Hui said.

'Will you help me beg ninth prince to be merciful toward me?' Xiao Zai asked.

'No,' Xiao Hui said. 'I promise I'll burn joss sticks on the anniversary of your death.'

'Thank you,' Xiao Zai said. 'You need to keep the joss sticks for your grave too.'

Early that morning Pei Jin and Pei Zhang was summoned to the palace. Pei Jin was relieved the imperial court meeting finally ended after two shichen hours. But Pei Zhang asked to escort Pei Jin to the palace gates.