Prologue

"Tell me a story about the Gods."

"Which ones?"

"You know, the main gods. Zeus, Hera, Poseidon, and so on."

"There are more gods than that."

"Yes, but I asked to hear about the main ones, the important ones."

"So you believe that some gods are more important than others?"

"I mean, I guess. They're always the important ones in stories."

"But just because they're important to the stories doesn't mean they're to be put on a pedestal higher than the rest."

"I didn't mean that! I just.. want to hear the story. The one about... them."

"That is a story of sorrow and tragedy, you know."

"I do."

"Yet you still wish to hear it?"

"Yes."

"Why?"

"Why does any story exist at all? It's to remind us of our flaws and downfalls, but give credit to our successes."

"So inquisitive for your age."

"So old for yours."

"Your tongue is faster than your thoughts, you better keep the two in line."

"Just tell me the story, please."

"Fine, I fold. But I won't be telling you the story you expect to hear."

"No one expects to hear the same story twice. There's always little bits of something else thrown into them."

"That is true."

"So, what does this new one gotta do with the Gods?"

"It's a story of love."

"Ew!"

"And a story of adventure. A story of heroism, rebellions, and all that fun stuff. But it is also a story of sadness. Of pain and regret so unimaginable, but one that's slithered it's way into our history for good."

"Does this story have a name?"

"This story has a title, but not exactly a name."

"Well spit it out! What is it?"

"This story's title? Well, you see, it's the story of us."

"Us?"

"Well, a story in a time different than ours, with people different than us. But the story helps us remember who we are, therefore it is a story about us."

"Well then... I would like to hear about this story."

"As would I."

"Well get on with it."

"Alright then. Let's see... our story begins with a number."

"A number?"

"Yes. A really big number. Now, what was it again? 900... 76? 977? No, I remember it now."