Chapter Six

I wake up with a smile on my face. I can't help but replay the memories from last night's dinner. Even though Brandon was there, it was actually kind of nice. My mother seemed to enjoy the boys and didn't judge them by the ink on their skin. They even explained what some of them meant. Liam brought my mother to tears when he explained what the arrows meant on his forearm. I never noticed the boys were that close to one another.

"Teddy get a move on. You have school today! If it helps you get to drive yourself." I laugh at my mother's attempt to get me up and at 'em. I'm in such a good mood, I'm actually looking forward to a day at school.

"I'm up, I'm up. I'll be down in a minute." Call to her. She seems more cheerful than usual herself. Wonder what's on her mind.

Since it's Monday, I decide to keep my outfit toned down. I just throw on some black skinny jeans and a white tee, and then some purple wedges for a pop of color. I french baird my hair into two braids and take off down the stairs.

I walk into the kitchen and find the table set with glasses of orange juice and milk. Plates filled with bacon, eggs, toast and strawberries.

"Mom what's the special occasion?" I ask looking from the table and back to her in disbelief.

"My daughter has finally found a boy she likes." She says as if it was the most obvious things in the world.

"Mom me and Zayn are friends." I say putting an emphasis on friends while rolling my eyes.

"I don't mean Zayn silly, Brandon." She can't be serious.

"I don't like Brandon at all like he's so and I'm so... We aren't compatible okay. He's such a di-" My mother glares at me, daring me to say dick. "Wiener. He isn't even my type."

"Oh yeah Teddy and whose your type? You haven't been with anyone since your father and I split. That was 2 years ago Teddy, it's time to get over it." Well there went a perfectly good morning.I groan and slump down into my seat.

"You wanna know who's my type? I'll tell you who is, people like Zayn are my type. I've seen you date people since the split, and they have all been jerks. Daughters learn from their mothers right? Well guess what mom, I have dated since the split and every guy was worse than the last. I didn't tell you because you would tell me I needed someone better. Truth be told mom, you need someone better than the people you've dated, you need dad!" A knock at the door stops me from continuing. I can see the hurt in my mother's eyes from the words I've spoken but I don't care. I leave her in the kitchen and walk to the front door. Opening it my eyes widen realizing who it is.

"Hey um Teddy. I forgot about driving your car from the party and I thought I'd return it to you. I'll just walk it's not far from here." Zayn says clearly nervous about what I'm going to say.

"Oh well, uh, thank you, Zayn. You can ride with me to school if you want. We're going to the same place so there is no need in you walking." I fidle with the bottom of my tee.

"Really? Is that okay with you, I mean you've only known me for like a week and I'm sure your mother would say the same thing. I can have one of the bo-" I clamp my hand over his mouth and his eyes widen realizing he was rambling.

"It's fine Zayn I trust you. Hello you saved my drunken ass from something horrible happening. You took me to your house and did nothing to me. You've earned my trust. Just don't do anything to lose it because then you'll be working extra hard to earn it again." I say removing my hand and winking. "My mother made a big breakfast if you want to come in and have some. We have 30 something minutes until we have to leave for school." I gesture for him to come in and I close the door behind us.