The Three Gifts

Some years later, the three sisters were ready to leave home. They had grown into young women, and the world outside the village was calling them.

Just before their departure, the Earth Fairy came and gave them each a special gift. Karimba, the eldest, received a pair of wings. "You have been overwhelmed by your feelings from the day your were born," said the fairy. "They used to make you feel helpless and guilty. Now you know that your feelings are your true power. They feed the currents which carry you through life. This pair of wings will help you soar."

To Maraka the fairy gave a golden pen. "Hearing everything and having to tell others who can't hear — this is the gift you were born with. Your voice used to spark fear in people's hearts. They turned away from you, and that made you very lonely. This pen will help you find the right words to share the stories you hear in such ways that others will want to listen."

Okarina got a ring with a sparkling stone from the Earth Fairy. The stone had the colour of her eyes. "You had to believe everything you saw long before you could understand. Your trust used to make you look stupid and feel embarrassed. You have learned to trust yourself, despite ridicule and mockery from others. This ring will help you stay on your path."

On the day they left, all the neighbours came out to say goodbye. With tears in their eyes, the fairy's gifts in their bags, and their parents' blessings, the village sisters went to discover the world on the other side of the woods.

Karimba, Maraka and Okarina learned many more lessons on their life's journeys, but that's another story and will be told another time.